1. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Not sure what to make of this mess. One thing is certain: this so-called "cinema" is going nowhere. It's a mere gimmick. Like the panorama or the kinetoscope. Think photography, with clumsy animation. Listen up, folks, cinema is just a fad. Let's focus on "real" art: theatre, literature, you know. In five years nobody will remember this stuff.

2. wiwitaek's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

I know, it's nothing in it from a movie's values but experiences around it and without this one, there would be no movies, mubi and we would be just hovered soulessly in the void.

3. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

4. Muntagnari's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

5. Claudia Negrea's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

6. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Renowned in cinema history as introducing the notion of 'audience effect'. Often used alongside Orson Welles' 'War of the Worlds' RKO radio broadcast as empirical evidence for the 'Hyperdermic Needle Theory'.

7. Cojocariu Claudia's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

8. vordven's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

9. Kadjavsi's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

10. weinbrandbabsi's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

I don't know, can I really objectively say anything? Of course, there's the "historic factor", meaning this is not just a film but a whole lot of context. I feel a bit uneasy on how much I am allowed an opinion against the sheer mass of history and if so, what I can base that opinion on. Anyway, a nice shot and a nice historical context. Am I good now?

11. Rafael Fonseca's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Hypnosis. Pre-narrative, pre-subjectivity, pre-art, pre-medium, as the camera is merely an invention "without a future". Like a cave painting. The frame skips and the people staring. This too, is but a train of shadows.

12. Deiner's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

13. Bogdan Liviu's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

"The film is associated with an urban legend well known in the world of cinema. The story goes that when the film was first shown, the audience was so overwhelmed by the moving image of a life-sized train coming directly at them that people screamed and ran to the back of the room."

14. Emily O's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

whoa we can rate these shorties? i'm also including a rating of the video i took on my phone in the dark by accident. but no joke the lumieres are chouette!

15. Cependant's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Foule rapide et première peur dans l'histoire du cinéma.

16. jonijtr's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Nothing Special Even This Short Will Change The World, Forever

17. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

“The cinema is an invention without a future'' Louis Lumière. Truest statement ever.

18. Kelsey Hill's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

19. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

I have to know, though: were the people in movie theatres really freaked out at the time?

20. Tutu888's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

The Lumiere brothers did invent the technology but they didn't recognize the art behind it.

21. THE APOLL0's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Showed everyone what a moving picture could be

22. suede's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Famous, but not so novel. Like other films of its time, it merely features a single <1-min. take that documents a scene of everyday life. // Contrary to a myth repeated in the MUBI description, the first public showing of this short was only in Jan. 1896.

23. Nathan Goldman's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Scott Aukerman's favorite film

24. Pierre's rating of the film The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

If we ever live to see the end of the world, CNN shouldn't play us off with "Nearer My God to Thee". It should play "Arrival of a Train" in reverse.