1. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

I never quite fell asleep, but I believe I was too tired to appreciate this in full, and so feel a little guilty rating it. But I did stay awake, and while I had a hard time following it, I gleaned enough to be able to say I enjoyed it. Specific moments stick out, like an excellently shot, very brief moment of violence, or even just the general smoggy atmosphere.

2. Ethan's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

This is one gritty and beautiful film noir.

3. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Film noir with a realist edge. Perfect cast, great camera work, even pacing. There are four women in the film (the fallen, the love bird, the wife and the dancer) - and no femme fatal among them...an oddity for the genre. Huston knew how to direct a cat, too!

4. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Huston's is still one of the great noirs, a near perfect balancing act between expressionism and on-the-streets realism. Note how tenderly he sketches what makes his crooks tick. Note how low he keeps the camera, how often the ceiling is visible, as if it's closing in. And note that a never-sexier Marilyn Monroe was so pre-fame she's not even in the opening credits. I can only go so long without cinema this good.

5. A47's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

"Money makes me sweat." The influence on Kubrick and Scorsese is undeniable. I'll take this any day to Treasure of Sierra... it's in the eyes. This is a character-driven caper, but what makes it great is the way what's being stolen keeps being debated, keeps changing on hearsay, keeps in the dark. Whose money is it anyway? Whose jewels? What's the plan? Doesn't matter. These characters get what they want.

6. bryanvmh's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

7. FISCHER's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Un indéfectible classique du film noir américain, déjà adapté trois fois au cinéma et qui fut (pour l'anecdote) le premier film colorisé à être projeté sur une chaîne de télévision française (la 5) le 6 août 1989... www.cinefiches.com

8. Jason's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Some debate persists about whether ASPHALT is a B-picture or an A-picture. Come on. This is primo A stuff, kids. This is Hollywood movie factory perfection. Huston resembles his friend Orson Welles not just because he is a towering cult of personality, but because he is a outsider within the system and in possession of a similarly versatile visual sensibility. They also both provide ground for actors to excel.

9. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

10. Histioteuthis's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Despite the stuff about Doc and girls being not really the sort I don't know endearing quirk Huston imagined, this is still a really affecting movie about like 'criminals as human beings' as well as a heist movie, in that instead of say slick glam (which isn't a knock on fun heist movies or anything) is more sad. I liked it a lot, especially Sterling Hayden and Jean Hagen but also everyone else.

11. El Biffo's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Family Movie Night: We're running a Sterling Hayden retrospective all summer! Film acting wasn't Hayden's main thing; he was an adventurer. A secret agent for OSS before it became CIA, he parachuted behind enemy lines and ran guns to Partisans in WWII, on a boat he piloted, and he sailed from S.F. to Tahiti in defiance of a court order. 6'5" tall, he didn't just play a tough guy in the movies, he was one for real.

12. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

A good film, but doesnt really start to get going plot wise for some time. However, the great B&W cinematography pulls you in almost instantly after the opening credits. Monroe gives a great early performance here, probably her best early work besides Dont Bother To Knock. Hayden is badassery personified, channeling much of the same energy he employed in Johnny Guitar. Not a perfect noir, but a great one. 4.5 stars

13. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

An interesting, if pretty standard heist movie, its strength lying in the unique casting, including Sterling Hayden as a paid thug, Sam Jeffe as a German ex-pat on the run, Louis Calhern as the front man for the job, as well as John McIntire, James Whitmore and a young Marilyn Monroe, among others. The way each character played off each other was fun to watch, and the twists in the plot were entertaining enough.

14. Aardsy's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Stylish and dull: the John Huston touch.

15. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

16. MS1915's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

I think the film was exceptionally well cast and while I disagree with Marilyn Monroe getting top billing, she did perform. The whole film builds and builds, like any worthy addition of its kind, and ultimately ends the way that I was hoping it would.

17. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Un grupo de personajes coinciden para un gran golpe. Todos ellos poseen además problemas pendientes. El verse dentro de esta empresa sería la solución a sus dilemas. "La jungla de asfalto" apunta a un cine de atraco y sobre fugitivos. Cual castillo de naipes los protagonistas irán obedeciendo a la gravedad. La película sin embargo se siente corta al momento de trabajar a cada uno por separado. Su legado:"The killing"

18. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Heist films tend to end the same way, but man, what a ride!

19. DVC's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Magnífica historia de perdedores y grandes interpretaciones de Sterling Hayden y Marilyn Monroe

20. Log Lady's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

The best heist movie? Hardly. Nothing I've seen so far has topped Rififi. That said, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would consider this just a minor classic. Huston's vision is modern, the cinematography enhances the bitter atmosphere, the cast is excellent, and the whole film oozes cynicism. The Asphalt Jungle simply represents everything that is great and interesting in film noir.

21. bulgrin's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Nothing more to say. A true classic with great and clever story, good acting, wonderful camera work, well developed characters ...

22. Jon Watson's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

Great acting. Better cinematography. Especially the police line-up scene.

23. anarchy_kool's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

A Phenomenal Film Noir!! One of my favourites!!

24. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film The Asphalt Jungle

SPETTACOLARE poliziesco con personaggi favolosamente caratterizzati e con un ruolo speciale riservato al "caso",protagonista invisibile,capace di annullare qualsiasi progetto umano(tematica che sarà cara anche a Kubrick).Poliziesco,noir,tragedia,tutto intrecciato con una ritmo serratissimo,una regia meticolosa ed un grandioso bianco e nero.Marilyn da infarto.Uno dei migliori gangster-movie che abbia mai visto.5*