1. straykat's rating of the film The Assassin

As a lover of slow films, I expected to fall in love with this movie. The cinematography is delicious. At the forefront of just about every shot is some immaculately planned image... but this trick also works to it's detriment. The photography becomes tiresome and a distraction from the limited narrative progression that unfortunately failed to hook - me no matter how much I wished.

2. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film The Assassin

I actually fell asleep in the cinema when this was playing

3. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film The Assassin

SWORD STORY, ENTER THE WOLRD OF WUXIA. Between hieratic plans & dazzling accelerations, a magnificent, fascinating & dizzying story of chivalry. The captivating magic & the bewitching mysteries of 12th century will carry you away. ==== Entre plans hiératiques & accélérations fulgurantes, une grandiose histoire de chevalerie, fascinante & étourdissante, dont la captivante magie & le mystère envoûtant vous emporteront.

4. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Assassin

This is the wuxia film we needed. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the genre, but it's hard not to like when such a skillful contemplative lens is applied.

5. Barrett.'s rating of the film The Assassin

6. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film The Assassin

On a technical and visual standpoint, this film is absolutely gorgeous. I mean the cinematography is REALLY gorgeous and the few fighting scenes are fascinating. The music is great too. But the pacing is extremely slow and it ultimately affected my engagement to the story. Not that I mind slower films but here it didn't do well for me. But overall, a well acted and very well directed film. 3.5 stars.

7. Ghostman's rating of the film The Assassin

A defiant and unique Wuxia film that strays very far from the typical styles and tropes used in the genre. Watching this film was like being on top of a mountain and taking in the biggest breath of fresh air and it deconstructs the Wuxia genre akin to how Two-Lane Blacktop did to the road movie. I need to see more Hou Hsiao-Hsien films.

8. THE APOLL0's rating of the film The Assassin

As if Bela Tar was deconstructing the Wuxia genre.

9. Anca.'s rating of the film The Assassin

Was pretty and all but I couldn't stop yawning. Also the story was kinda ????? Maybe another day.

10. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Assassin

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I kinda wanted more fighting?

11. Tigrão's rating of the film The Assassin

You may give me all your "it's-contemplative-and-beautiful" bollocks, but The Assassin was for me nothing else than a director jerking off on his own artistic ego and mythology. He deliberately hides the action from you. He cuts away before the hit. Dialogues are sparse and bookended by two minutes pauses. It's like it's trying very hard not to please us, and I can't stand a movie that is so self-conscious.

12. FISCHER's rating of the film The Assassin

Un évident ravissement du spectateur s'insinue peu à peu dans la vision et le déroulement d'une histoire finalement secondaire qui prend en fait ses aises et son envergure dans une lumineuse osmose avec le décor pictural, d'une venteuse pièce ornementée à foison de rideaux, de draperies et de tapisseries... www.cinefiches.com

13. Olivia Reneé Saldívar's rating of the film The Assassin

14. Babak Geranfar's rating of the film The Assassin

"The Assassin" is glamorous without any mega-picture setting, thrilling without any swordplay on ropes, operatic without any chorus and romantic without any catchy music. It is a piece of art presented as one-woman-opera elegantly played by Shu Qi, and as an eloge-de-l`amour touchingly narrated by Hou`s sublime visual style.

15. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film The Assassin

Houi is on another level now: Transcendence! Not pandering to audience expectation anymore, when you are old, you get away with it. When the credits rolled it was like being violently woken up from a dream. A sublime dream.

16. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film The Assassin

i felt really interested about the story, but... i just couldn't get it. frustration. and then i find out that NO ONE has got it. something's gotta be wrong. fantastic art, though

17. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Assassin

I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had watched it straight through and if I made more of an effort to engage with it. Pretty gorgeous, with an amazing scene involving clouds.

18. Diderot's rating of the film The Assassin

I loved every second of this mesmerizing movie. And certainly Best Look 2015 goes to Shu Qi as Yinniang.

19. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film The Assassin

Every picture of this is ridiculous. The forefront, the middle, the background - always something moving, some trickery with the depth of field, some whiff of smoke. The movie is a slideshow of perfectly built tableaux. The composition is flawless. Alas, I didn't understand anything what was happening. I didn't feel the motives of the characters, or anything. It felt almost like a parody, the deliberate slowness.

20. Aditya Watts's rating of the film The Assassin

Some mixed feelings. Incredible Visuals. Beautiful Sound. Not so hot on the pacing and action sequences.

21. (arc)'s rating of the film The Assassin

bliss and heaven. if you're into that sort of thing.

22. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film The Assassin

E' tosto da digerire,perchè un melodrammone in costume di due ore cinese è una sfida importante. Molte sono le scivolate nel cinema d'essex,ma la regia è meravigliosa,i colori sembrano quelli di Kitano e i movimenti di macchina giustificano ampiamente il premio della giuria di Cannes. Messa in scena di livello altissimo,con una luce varia che esalta il tutto: un mattone,ma un mattone che trasuda bellezza.

23. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Assassin