1. darioscha's rating of the film The Astronauts

Precioso film con resonancias de Svankmayer, collage, y fotomontaje!

2. The Accidental Film Club (Paul)'s rating of the film The Astronauts

The whole Meliès-via-Gilliam thing is fun, and I particularly liked the man-sat-upside-down-with-his-hat-falling-off scene. Was otherwise underwhelmed, though. - Paul 見た目はかわいいけどアートすぎる. 時間の短さグッド. - Juri

3. rainerfloo's rating of the film The Astronauts

1959 y'all. Wow, the direct line running between elements of this and so much I have loved that was made after this. Not just in film or animation, but in video games, in electronic music. Then again, Borowczyk/Marker collab was always going to be game changing.

4. matelot's rating of the film The Astronauts

5. simona dumitriu's rating of the film The Astronauts

6. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film The Astronauts

Unique style and at times humorous, an early effort from two masters.

7. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Astronauts

Tomfoolery of the highest order. The sound design is reminiscent of Delia Derbyshire's work with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and Vernon Elliott's work for 'The Clangers'. I really admire Borowczyk's ability to cobble together different materials in order to realise his imaginative vision.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Astronauts

Sympathiquement fou, fou ... www.cinefiches.com

9. John Woodall's rating of the film The Astronauts

The visuals and sound design in this are incredibly well done, creating a film that has a certain child-like wonder. At the same time, I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the direction and story it takes. So much done right, but something is missing.

10. katerpink's rating of the film The Astronauts

Any movie of Borowczyk is a masterpiece. This one is also funny.

11. fearraigh's rating of the film The Astronauts

A wonderfully witty jaunt in the spirit of Méliès with the lovably demented aesthetics of Polish poster art. Borowczyk shows early signs of his very singular look and, though Marker's contribution might appear obscure, it reminds me of the YouTube videos he made in his final years. A great use of the animated medium.

12. captainfez's rating of the film The Astronauts

13. Diderot's rating of the film The Astronauts

14. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film The Astronauts

I'm wondering if similarity to Monty Python's animation style is a coincidence.

15. mpho3's rating of the film The Astronauts

"To my friends on Earth, I is alive. I is up there. I ain't right there. See you oo." Love it.

16. David R Williams's rating of the film The Astronauts

17. ehk2's rating of the film The Astronauts

18. ronny's rating of the film The Astronauts

pretty girl, great sound design.

19. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Astronauts

20. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The Astronauts

OK . . . well . . . that was peculiar.

21. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Astronauts

Boro's genuine sense of funny absurdism and experimentalism. Facetious collages.

22. Blake Stefansen's rating of the film The Astronauts

Like most Avant-Garde films, The Astronauts by Walerian Borowczyk and Chris Marker has a less than straight-forward narrative element. Experimenting with sound and stop-motion animation, both directors seem to convey an unfamiliar experience that is open to interpretation. While it may seem unusually to most conventional Hollywood block-busters, it is interesting to say the least.

23. Laura O'Brien's rating of the film The Astronauts

Even for a short, this film has a particularly abrupt ending. Quirky animation and music keep the movie both somewhat light and definitely bizarre. The influential and unique nature of the animation is particularly entertaining. Terry Gilliam, the animator the Monty Python series, seems to have taken influence from Borowczyk. This spaceship adventure is definitely worth a watch.

24. dagos@me.com's rating of the film The Astronauts

This short film transported me to my childhood days when I devoured Jules Verne books and the world was a big, romantic mystery in my eyes. But even then, I knew of its grotesque and irony -- things this film brings back so effectively. Highly recommended if you're brave enough to face the child in you.