1. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Aviator

A great example of Scorsese's directing prowess, visual flair and storytelling abilities. Hughes is an interesting historical figure and DiCaprio is really great here, despite the criticism get got at the time of release.

2. anacecil's rating of the film The Aviator

3. Temi Cheke's rating of the film The Aviator

this film looks beautiful. made for your eyes. I didn't know peas could look so good. Cate B is cool as Hepburn. I couldn't watch it again but def fascinating.

4. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Aviator

Scorsese skilfully used the 170 minutes running time to create a balanced and entertaining portrayal of Hughes' life including his work, personality, romances, obsessions and slow descent into madness. I loved the music, visuals and great camerawork; it was a fantastic decision to digitally recreate Technicolor bipack and three-strip as it adds so much to the feel of the era . Great performances across the board.

5. sizelando's rating of the film The Aviator

Exciting, so well made, and utterly compelling.

6. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Aviator

Some good performances here, Cate Blanchett probably the best. As you would expect, a well-crafted film, capturing the time, the man, his mania in impeccable style

7. Paul Relf's rating of the film The Aviator

DiCaprio outstanding as always.

8. alimcintyre's rating of the film The Aviator

Beautifully shot with great acting, particularly DiCaprio, but it left me looking at my watch after about two hours

9. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film The Aviator

Bit slow to start and slightly too long, but last third of film is engrossing. Leo is good in this

10. Nathan's rating of the film The Aviator

Watched on Mubi - Review pending

11. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Aviator

This film is a document of Scorsese's mastery. The use of elements like filtered colors or the dancing camera (being a prolongation or counterpart of the actors' body movements) are evidence for his thoughtful work. And the brillant madness sequence in the private cinema with its abusive confrontation of body and film pictures is a highlight of autoreflexive use of visual media and (like in the whole picture) light.

12. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Aviator

13. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film The Aviator

We could use a whole movie about Howard Hughes fighting to bring America "big, round titties" via film.

14. film_lies101's rating of the film The Aviator

A boring, dull, soulless spectacle. Perhaps Scorses's worst

15. Edmund Poliks's rating of the film The Aviator

Both entertainingly bombastic and painfully intimate, The Aviator paints an absorbing portrait of Howard Hughes, and the man behind the mania. The cast is absolutely wonderful: from Cate Blanchett's charm to Leonardo DiCaprio's nuanced descent into his disorders. Minus an occasional sag in pacing, the film moves boisterously, with quiet moments of despair planted beneath the period glitz and excitement.

16. naokoken's rating of the film The Aviator

The second half of the movie was fantastic. Alone with his madness and the hearings. Liked this quote I saw "Howard Hughes was able to afford the luxury of madness, like a man who not only thinks he is Napoleon but hires an army to prove it."

17. jamesey's rating of the film The Aviator

This great big movie is fun with a couple glasses of bourbon and no distractions.

18. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Aviator

In honor of DiCaprio's win for The Revenant, I choose to celebrate with the performance that actually should've won. His performance as Howard Hughes is by far the best he has given yet, and Cate Blanchett is marvelous. One of my favorite Scorsese films.

19. OcioActivo's rating of the film The Aviator

The Aviator's greatest strength is its ability to make you feel trapped inside Hughes, especially when things go wrong. Otherwise, it's a fun, albeit typical Hollywood biopic and a better period piece. It's entertaining seeing classic Hollywood actors being portrayed by current ones. Leo plays HH quite well & can handle the weight. Scorsese's better half? Not quite, but it is not without its merits & style. 3.5 stars

20. Padiddle's rating of the film The Aviator

It's a Scorsese film... not one of his best but far from his worse. Leo turns in a fine performance and I enjoyed the story/film overall but then again I'm a sucker for period pieces and biopics.

21. LK's rating of the film The Aviator

Seeing this again for the first time since its release reminded me that Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Kathryn Hepburn set an example of a strong tomboyish non-conforming woman that really affected my adolescent self. The other bits of the movie are pretty all right too.

22. ammar's rating of the film The Aviator

23. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Aviator

This is, in many ways, Scorcese's epic. Though weightier and flawed when put up against his earlier films, the ambition of this film cannot help but be admired. With everyone in the start-studded cast putting in good efforts, it makes each moment watchable in this marathon affair. I was prepared to say that this film grew too long, but I was proven wrong in this concern. It clips along as most films this length can't

24. marika ames's rating of the film The Aviator

An intimate telling of the challenges the mind faces when money is no object and your work is your main passion and erratic obsession. A spectacular character who's humorous tendencies are still fully present throughout.

← Previous 1 3 4