1. le Gars's rating of the film The Awful Truth

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Un inoubliable chef-d'oeuvre, véritable festival d'humour et de finesse, à voir ou revoir de toute urgence. Léo Mac Carey reste incontournable .... www.cinefiches.com

3. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Starts off very wooden and unpromising but bit by bit things start to click into place, and then Ralph Bellamy appears and both the comedy and the romance rise to a new level. The Philadelphia Story it ain't, either in terms of sophistication or guts, but there's still enough here to raise a big smile and warm the heart.

4. janh24's rating of the film The Awful Truth

5. dannyjp1981's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Well this was just wonderful. I never thought I was one for screwball romance comedies, but maybe I was wrong. Cary Grant is so beautiful in this film. And so fun. Irene Dunne is a joy, I love how repressed but also emotionally charged she plays her character, and how she excels at the farcical elements - her timing is exquisite. The writing is clever and breezy and FUNNY, the direction assured. Bravo.

6. MrSpaceman's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Enjoyable, but silly. Carry is great, of course. Worthwhile watching and, as I say, enjoyable.

7. Nicolas Pierce's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Cary Grant was an absolute genius. Few people can look so effortlessly natural, intelligent and funny in front of the camera. Greatest movie star in the history of Hollywood? Arguably.

8. Leigh Collins's rating of the film The Awful Truth

9. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Leo McCarey's sexual tension through images is so rich that I doubt we can find anything similar in the world of cinema.

10. Anita G's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Would love to have seen Cary Grant's face for real when he had his makeup on for the fake tan. To get that to show in b&w is something else! Great costumes as well. Quick witted script.

11. Noëlle's rating of the film The Awful Truth

12. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Awful Truth

A wonderful romantic comedy that mixes a fun script with some great physical gags. Cary Grant, Irene Dunn, and Ralph Bellamy are all an absolute delight.

13. gramsci13's rating of the film The Awful Truth

one of the 30's greatest screwball rom coms, the comic timing is perfection and Grant is on the kind of form that set the benchmark for the genres leading men

14. Superfrog's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Very good piece overall even though the sister scene is the scene too much. Photography is good, the comedy is very decent and it all flows pretty well. As often for me, I am left wondering why they could not be open with each other to start with, they are great accomplices in life, they already know they can function with each of them seeing other people, the divorce premise feels socially constrained.

15. Flow Joe's rating of the film The Awful Truth

This is really something. 80 years on and it's as fresh as anything ... huge props to Irene Dunne, who is just faultless.

16. Andrew Smaje's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Wonderful film with fabulous performances. By the way, MUBI, the trailer you're using for this film is actually from 'Topper'... which you're welcome to include in future months, please!

17. Tja's rating of the film The Awful Truth

The awful truth is that even the great Cary Grant cannot breathe real life into this improbable tale of rich folk with small hearts and even smaller imaginations. My monies on the dog.

18. Natty's rating of the film The Awful Truth

She also looks like the Columbia Picture's logo lady

19. First Lady Dré's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Glorious outfits and some funny lines but ultimately somewhat dated

20. anthony's rating of the film The Awful Truth

21. Bryan Hickman's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Finds the time to be super racist, but it is a funny sex comedy

22. dianadhm's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Cary Grant, the rightful king of screwball comedy.

23. msmichel's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Classic comedic farce from Leo McCarey that provided stars Cary Grant and Irene Dunne with a wonderful vehicle for their comedic talents. Even better was Ralph Bellamy in a memorable supporting turn. Dialogue and events throughout are quite humorous and the film stands the test of time very well.

24. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Awful Truth

Cary Grant may have indeed been in more classics than anyone else, except maybe Barbara Stanwyck. What a film. You'll laugh from beginning to end. Check out Irene Dunne in I Remember Mama for her most memorable performance