1. Clarisse Lemaitre's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Critique assumée de l'intellectualisme forcené, en même temps que du boboisme et toute forme en "isme", une certaine - non pas tendresse - mais humanité ressort de ce film à la mise en scène subtile et faussement délavée. Bien vu.

2. Didonne's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Ce film aborde avec beaucoup de finesse, d'humanité, et de vitalité un sujet poignant : la mort prochaine d'un parent atteint du cancer. Arcand brise un tabou en abordant un sujet aujourd'hui largement refoulé en Occident. Même si elle n'a pas été réalisée pour être didactique, cette oeuvre devrait être vue par le plus grand nombre car "philosopher, c'est apprendre à mourir".

3. Superfrog's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

An amazing treatment of death, in the best possible way. Better camerawork than the first ones, with brilliant shots like the opening in the hospital. The irony of the son paying for it all against his father ideal, whose ideals of enjoying life nicely take over. Amazingly emotional without being sweet. Makes it to my favourites without a doubt.

4. fada19's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Magistral , un chef d'oeuvre ;

5. FISCHER's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Incontournable, n'en déplaise ! www.cinefiches.com

6. Luca's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

kinda highbrow and sentimental but yet sober and ironic. Well balanced

7. Trunfos's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

8. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Though it makes reference to the intelligent, the film itself is not intellectual. It's a broad comedy and a trite drama; albeit effective at both, though not quite charming enough to cancel out the chauvinism. Sort of wish it had just stuck with the medical buerocracy of the first act.

9. paulo.albu's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

10. naokoken's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

The first hour was ok, but the long ending sequence at the cottage was wonderful. "We can't decipher the past, how can we know the future?" A man is afraid to die without having found a meaning to life and to leave no mark. "I have missed you all my life." Primo Levi, E.M. Cioran, Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn and Samuel Pepys. "The history of mankind is a history of horrors." Loved Arvo Pärt selections for soundtrack.

11. mpho3's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

I recently lost my dad. He was an intellectual/academic/contrarian (not as open about his philandering). Standoffish in life, in the end he was surrounded by most of the people important to him. I'm not wealthy like the son in the film, but like him, despite a complicated paternal relationship, I did my best to give my dad what he needed but wouldn't ask for. The film truly hit home for me, title and all. Art. Life.

12. David R Williams's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

13. Mehran.E's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

More 3.5ish. Apart from some minor issues it was a very enjoyable watch. I really liked some of the dialogues. Probably because it resonated with me based on my exposure to almost identical topics. By no means a layered or deep or thought provoking movie. Very light and literal, and in my opinion that is it's strength.

14. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Like its predecessor, The Decline of the American Empire, this is a narcissistic meditation on the passing of the baby-boom generation. And like Decline, it suffers from a self-important and cloying delivery. Instead of a meaningful critique of the decline of the revolutionary passion and idealism of the 60s, both films are little more than an opportunity for Arcand to spout his petty grievances with the left.

15. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Terrific dialogue throughout this French-Canadian film, interesting characters and relationships, and there isn't a whole lot of plot to drag that dynamic down.

16. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

I love the way Canadians make films. There's just something about that culture that is so attractive to me. It's like they're civilized ...

17. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Cartoonish characters, deplorable acting (particularly the central figure), reminds me of sloppy sitcoms (where the bad writing has an operational excuse).

18. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

19. saltwater's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

Witty, touching conversations and acting, but a few key elements of the story are well behind the scope of belief.

20. Laura Marina Boria's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

21. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

really very moving, though when it was over i somehow got the feeling i'd been had

22. Raymond Moreno's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

23. wayne roylance's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions

saw it years ago but i remember it being a surprisingly moving, intelligent film - pathos, but not mawkishness, but also very wise. what "the big chill" would be if it was a great film.

24. Simona's rating of the film The Barbarian Invasions