1. Zac Weber's rating of the film The Big City

Two things stand out to me in particular - Madhabi Mukherjee's dynamic performance and Satyajit Ray's ability to express the passage of time with subtle dialogue cues. This was his first film set entirely in his native Kolkata, and I love the shots of both Bhombol and Arati strolling through the city.

2. ehk2's rating of the film The Big City

It's too calculated. Sure, the miraculous Apu trilogy was also calculated but this is calculated in a bad way. The resolution at the end cannot change the very conservative taste in the mouth for the two hours. You cannot erase a two-hours load with a two-minutes final. The movie also builds on coincidences & deus ex machina. In fact it looks very similar to some Turkish conservative films which I've seen repeatedly

3. Ethan's rating of the film The Big City

This is a great film that perfectly displays human relationships with such delicacy and heart that it almost brings a tear to your eyes.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Big City

Une oeuvre solide et revendicative, teintée d'un étonnant et surprenant féminisme, confirmant à nouveau l'extrême sensibilité de Satyajit Ray, dans sa rigoureuse et piquante dénonciation de certaines valeurs traditionnelles passéistes. Négligeant une dénonciation frontale des réalités économiques et sociales du pays, le metteur en scène s'est plutôt attaché au parcours individuel d'une libération. www.cinefiches.com

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Big City

6. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Big City

8.7/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2w5

7. HSBilly's rating of the film The Big City

mitra's cinematography is always stunning, it is my favourite from his and ray's.

8. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Big City

9. James Mackin's rating of the film The Big City

Modernity comes to Bengal, and Madhabi Mukherjee sells like no one else.

10. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film The Big City

such sensibility, such beauty. This is perfect.

11. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Big City

Going in, I didn’t expect how reverberating and powerful this film would be. In Ray’s gentle touch there is so much beauty and emotion that can be expressed, in ways that isn’t captured when the emotions are overblown and fake. Its also very brave and progressive in its depiction of a house wife leaving home and working to support her family in India. An amazing performance from Madhabi Mukherjee.

12. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Big City

Another brilliant and authentic film from the great Satyajit Ray. He makes us relate to the characters and their daily struggles.

13. Jinsie's rating of the film The Big City

Madhabi Mukherjee's beauty in these Ray classics makes me feel three feet tall. You don't simply fall into such eyes without those shimmers and shades of a deeper character: great writing, internalised. It's Setsuko Hara all over again.

14. Mellow Dude's rating of the film The Big City

Gotta love the bittersweet ending; honest and pure.

15. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film The Big City

The world is ours. http://theflickeringwall.blogspot.pt/2014/10/mahanagar-big-city.html

16. Stevie's rating of the film The Big City

Another gem from Ray, his modern outlook being well ahead of its time in his country. I'm most impressed by the love Ray has for his characters regardless of their imperfections. Mukherjee is fantastic.

17. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film The Big City

Difficult for me to write about masterpieces without gushing. Ray's been compared to the great 19th century novelists, and the description is handy: few filmmakers are so rich in detail, so able to subtly draw the characters' psychologies, so able to conjure the characters' worlds. Cheap cynicism and experimental doodling are alien to Ray's mind. This film is a lesson in grace, measure, intelligence, and class.

18. Sean Harmer's rating of the film The Big City

A magnificent film, but the last 10 minutes were absurd.

19. Thomas's rating of the film The Big City

20. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film The Big City

Satyajit Ray continues to impress me with each film I have seen and this one is certainly no exception. A finely crafted film with impressive acting and cinematography, plus Madhabi Mukherjee is such a gifted actress. A slow but rewarding viewing experience, it would be a treat to see on the big screen (as would any of Ray's works).

21. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film The Big City

OMG YES! A masterpiece through and through. I love Satyajit Ray.

22. joey Noodles's rating of the film The Big City

I saw this on the big screen in a BEAUTIFUL 35mm print, it is a masterwork. So many brilliant social commentaries, I need to see more Ray, sharpish!

23. sapta's rating of the film The Big City

It's incredible how such a slow paced movie of more than 2 hours never feels boring. Ray never ceases to amaze me with his simple stories and beautiful movies. And also a creator of movie stars. Didn't know Jaya Bhaduri debuted in a Ray movie.

24. Stu Witmer's rating of the film The Big City

Very charming film that simply grabs the viewer and ushers you into the life of people seemingly so different from your own. However, the differences are superficial and the common stream of humanity pulses through this delightful movie. The astonishing expressiveness in Madhabi Mukherjee’s face as she moves through the challenges of her life is a revelation.