1. José Neves's rating of the film The Big Country

TV. The country is really huge and when filming it cinema's followed the necessary proportions, both plastic and dramaturgical. In fact, i do not remember liking a Wyler movie as much before, stripped of his usual filming rhetoric. The problem is to see such large country and film on a television's screen dimension.

2. Neither/Nor's rating of the film The Big Country

Peck and Heston beating each other to a pulp in a series of la nuit américaine long shots, the silence of the soundtrack disarmingly savage in its own right, is strange and ruthless in a way that's beyond the 50s cycle of Westerns.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Big Country

Le mythique de l'Ouest américain dans toute son étendue, sa puissance et ses affrontements, dans un excellent western non dénué d'humour et de grands sentiments. www.cinefiches.com

4. JonMB's rating of the film The Big Country

Great characters, performances and cinematography. Burl Ives' performance won him an oscar. Class warfare in the old west. A taste of culture and civility surrounded by the harsh and sometimes vulgar realities of the time. Very refreshing. One of my top five westerns.

5. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Big Country

Essential western. One of Pecks best performances. Burl Ives is also quite good here. One of Wyler's crowning achievements, of which there were many.

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Big Country

William Wyler is frightening: 12 of his movies were nominated for the Academy awards and he won a Palme d'Or in Cannes. He is typically the kind of director you would love to despise because he seems so politically correct. Sorry, I can't. According to me, The Big Country deserves the masterpiece qualification as much as a Quentin Tarantino or John Cassavetes film. It's about fathers and sons. Indispensable.

7. Tom Noblett's rating of the film The Big Country

8. CREDERE OBBEDIRE COMBATTERE's rating of the film The Big Country

one of my favourite final showdowns ever

9. Matt Reddick's rating of the film The Big Country

I kept thinking this was just Budd Boetticher/Anthony Mann stretched out into an "epic".. but by the end... THAT SHOWDOWN... made it worth it.

10. Tigrão's rating of the film The Big Country

Unbearably booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggggg

11. Acerk21's rating of the film The Big Country

I haven't seen many Westerns so my opinion doesn't hold much weight, but from those I have seen, "The Big Country" is one of the best. That's largely due to the character of "James McKay", who is by far, the most evolved character ever to grace a Western. Also, the musical score by Jerome Moross is very powerful and uplifting...if there was a "Top Ten" list of Greatest Film Scores, this one should be included.