1. Cristian Necșulescu's rating of the film The Big Sleep

2. Luca Di Gianni's rating of the film The Big Sleep

3. THE APOLL0's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Cohen Bros. took the structure of this for Big Lebowski; Hollywood has shit memory. That aside great film.

4. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Big Sleep

"Why did you have to go on? - Too many people told me to stop."

5. Homayoun Hajikhani's rating of the film The Big Sleep

6. Lily Parmenter's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Phew, that plot was messy, but really what you're watching is Bogie falling in love with Bacall! And how could he not! Such a beautiful part of film history. Not to mention that sexy bookshop lady. A damn near perfect noir. "You've forgotten one thing--me." "What's wrong with you?" "Nothing you can't fix."

7. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Extremely quotable and stylish — a review I loved on letterboxd commented on the lack of "real" noir-style, and posited that his is actually Hawks's best screwball comedy. I love that reading, so I'm going with that.

8. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Bogey and Bacall 5ever, baby!!

9. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film The Big Sleep

One of the first films exploring the idea of multiple universes. The story takes place in an alternate reality in which broke, fifty-something, puffy-eyed, chain-smoking private detectives are sexually irresistible to beautiful young girls. I liked it. Very ahead of its time.

10. William R Clark's rating of the film The Big Sleep

In which a film becomes instantly bored with its plot, deciding to deliver it through a series of linguistic loops closing in on a really intense, immense, sexuality. Bogart is probably at his best here.

11. Stefano Campagna's rating of the film The Big Sleep

12. Traum Baum's rating of the film The Big Sleep

How are we supposed to keep track of THAT MANY characters?

13. Samuel T.'s rating of the film The Big Sleep

Only Chandler really knows Chandler

14. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Big Sleep

15. Matt's rating of the film The Big Sleep

A worth sequel to 'The Maltese Falcon'. OK, technically it's not, but when you get down to it, Bogart is really still playing Sam Spade more than he is Phillip Marlowe so I'd say it's a TMF sequel that just happens to have the same name and plot of Raymond Chandler novel and where Spade keeps being called Marlowe for some reason.

16. F/K's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Despite having a convoluted plot, this is one of the best Noir films ever made. Beautiful cinematography, great direction by Hawks, and stellar acting by Bogart and Bacall. But the real star here is the writing, one of the best scripts ever written.

17. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Big Sleep

18. Andre's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Don't let anyone tell you this is a film noir: this is a screwball comedy with a body count and a gangster milieu. Why follow the plot when you can just savour every single second that the cast is acting out everyone's hardboiled fantasy, where a quick wit will get you more than a quick draw, and Bogart's effortlessly cool Marlowe rises above the muck we so all want to (vicariously) inhabit. Pure bliss

19. Ethan's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Bogart is incredibly badass here as Philip Marlowe and the only other person to touch his greatness in this character was Elliot Gould when he did The Long Goodbye.

20. yovargas's rating of the film The Big Sleep

I genuinely didn't understand a single scene in this entire movie. Not one. D+

21. FISCHER's rating of the film The Big Sleep

Encore un grand classique de Howard Hawks qui réunit pour la seconde fois sous sa direction, le couple mythique Bogart / Bacall, pour notre plus grand bonheur... www.cinefiches.com

22. gld48's rating of the film The Big Sleep

It feels pretty long but every scene crackles.Script by Faulkner, it was bound to be confusing. But it's still one of the best.

23. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Big Sleep

24. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Big Sleep

A continuum of flirting and one-upmanship (and fun), The Big Sleep also stands out as one of the warmest noirs.

← Previous 1 3 4 5