1. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

4 stars for the innovative techniques of analytic montage, 1 star for the miserable "propaganda story".

2. cuttofences's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Griffith's film tells the tale of two different wars--it plays out like the dreams (or nightmares) of a crazed politician, regardless of their beliefs.

3. Marina C.'s rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Despite its' great technicity, this absolutely sucks and was dreadful to sit 190 min with this.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

La séparation de deux familles amies causée par la Guerre de Sécession. Après la Reddition, le fils de la tribu sudiste, Ben, fonde le Ku Klux Klan. Il sauvera les Cameron, vivant au Nord, des menaces de Lynch, un ancien de leurs obligés ..... Un film fondateur ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Valentina Sanchez's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

6. L.F.G.'s rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

masterfully lurid propaganda with the tenor of a horror film

7. James Mackin's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

I don't really understand people that hate this film because it shares a different morality than them. It's very close-minded. This was a very influential film in multiple regards.

8. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

9. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

3 hours of pure hatred only take you so far, yet "The very essence of his realism is open frames, complex stagings, and multiple planes of action, all of which suggest far more than Griffith’s descriptive title cards, and his stunted politics, would themselves allow".

10. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

11. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

It really is a pioneering work in terms of cinematic language and I was amazed at how I was never bored throughout its 3-plus hours. But even as a masterpiece it remains morally indefensible. Even if the Dunning School represented the majority view of Reconstruction of the time, the film's release was nevertheless still highly controversial and the second part's obnoxious propaganda is sickeningly blatant.

12. ajdehany's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Essential for understanding US culture. It's not about the civil war but the reconstruction and its failures. Centrally fear about the vote, with a direct line to the Florida recounts a century later. Here the 'enfranchisement of the negroes' leads to some anti-white dystopia, then at the end the KKK literally disenfranchise them again and it ends with a super-idealised White Utopia presided over by Jesus. Bizarre.

13. Martin Jensen's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

giving this a rating so I can remember I've watched it on here. I don't know if you can call this film 'good' or 'bad'. I think it does have historical value as an innovative film and historical value as a racist fantasy/propaganda.

14. Stephen R Bozon's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

15. Superfrog's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Surely novel when made yet with a rhythm from another era, and a fundamentally flawed view of society. I would not recommend unless studying camera and acting technique of this era of silent film.

16. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Try as he might, Griffiths cannot escape the image of the KKK as terrorists - in this film they are a genuinely heart-racing force. Watch it if you're a film or history geek; there's some great cinematography and a compelling soundtrack.

17. fane2808's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

The movie in short: when KKK comes to the rescue/is the rescue ... Well, that's a phrase I never expected to write. From technical pov, brilliant, using different camera shots, minimal (let alone, special) effects to tell a 3 hrs long silent story never boring. Ideologically, best example of propaganda: keep facts that prove your point - why an intolerant racist movement is needed & justified - & discard all others.

18. sandra harper's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Ok , I think to approach such a film -you need to have an open mind without any leaning to either side or prejudices. I did end up shaking my head at times ( I am black myself but I watched it till the end. When I think about the role of the KKK perhaps to some who lost so much in the South - they could be seen as heroes .

19. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Could there be a harder film to rate? The political and social implications of this film remind not only of a different time in American history, but of the human capacity to justify hatred, all while pioneering historically significant film techniques. Still, Birth Of A Nation ought to be watched by everyone, as a reminder of the power of film to communicate and convince audiences even of the ethically monstrous.

20. Alex Blogg's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

A difficult film to watch for a number of reasons, but you can't ignore it's place in film history. Birth of a Nation is epic and shocking in equal measures.

21. aether's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

shout out to my lecturer in l'analyse de film in marseille who dedicated an entire month to this film and why it is not racist smh

22. alhimself-'s rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Low rating not to say it's not worth seeing. This is remarkable as a piece of polemic, and told clearly if with no possible redemption from a modern point of view. Amazing to think it was made 55 years after The Civil War that it depicts, and another 40 years passed before Rosa Parks sat down. I sat through it, appreciated the cinematography, but worried hugely about the things that Griffith assumes and fears here.

23. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Technically ground-breaking. Narrative arcs were formed here. However, thematically and ideologically, as abhorrent as anything Riefenstahl created. One step forward, ten steps back.

24. Dignan's rating of the film The Birth of a Nation

Constructive to Hollywood. Destructive to humanity.

← Previous 1 3 4