1. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Like a perverse, or more realistic, take on Bjork’s Oh So Quiet, where each woman has her recurring drama to reenact - until it’s over. (And then…) The erotic thrill - sometimes compulsion - of submitting to one’s most basal, tautly tensioned relationships w/ power, in this Nietzchean way where it’s what animates us; distinguishes us from those dolls & mannequins... Style: Campy, Sirk-inspired Vanity Fair spread. 4.5

2. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

3.5. I should see this again.

3. Luca Angelini's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

4. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Fassbinder throws melodrama through the looking glass, dragging every bilious contradiction of lopsided love affairs into a microcosm that's as enclosed and articulate as a great stage play and as visually inventive as great cinema. The film alternates between human and cruel, flaunting its acid tongue and searching for peace. Its glorious ending is either Fassbinder's sickest joke or a cause for hope. Possibly both.

5. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

6. Ark V's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

beautiful farcical torture

7. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

A rare example of a film where extreme theatricality is its strength. Restricted to the single setting, Fassbinder and Ballhaus are able to compose every aspect of each frame to devastating effect. The mise en scene wraps you up inside its strange world of sensuality, sadomasochism and performativity, while the film itself is an incredibly rich text for the exploration of power, sexuality and emotional dependence.

8. LASHLEY's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

the reality of love and loving framed in unconventionl but totally universal

9. Alex Hall's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Stunning and sensual. Who needs male actors?

10. T.h. Marvelsteins's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Incredible, incredible, incredible, incredible!

11. moniquekidman's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

A world and characters constantly in flux and in motion. Ballhaus' camera is always moving, revealing new details about a room (and consequently, the characters) that is simultaneously vast and enclosed. Extreme artifice has been built up just for it to gradually collapse, and this cast of fabulous women wearing fabulous clothes perfectly encapsulates the contradictions of this constructed, yet emotionally raw world.

12. UnbrandedFilms's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Fassbinder proves once more to know women deeply and the cinematography of Ballhaus is like a magnifying glass over the details that build up to the women, the mannequins and the theatrical settings becoming a seamless unity. The storytelling technique employed is remarkable in the way it tells itself through the narration by images of Marlene, who does not speak one word for the entire duration of the film. Superb.

13. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

I tortured myself by watching an hour but I find it stale, ugly and unsubtle. I think that this would be most interesting to NPDs with little self-awareness.

14. Levi Miah's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Fassbinder explores karma, hypocrisy, love, obsession, motherhood, ego, art, fashion, sex, domination and submission all in a single room. Love is pain, expertly captured as beautiful, warm - oozing with colour and texture, dipping in and out of the shadows and merging human forms. The final shot, particularly spotlighting the gun, is a nice engimatic flare added to the strange, internal universe created.

15. Superfrog's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Skillfully composed both in script and image. Delivers well on what it tries to. But it. Is a hard watch with its pace.

16. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Not my favourite so far, from my limited exposure to Rainer Werner Fassbinder, but still good enough for me to suspect that this film-maker has gathered such a strong, loyal following because he rarely puts a foot wrong. Strong performances help, and the single location isn't a hindrance either, considering the behaviour of the main character (a superb Margit Carstensen).

17. Jadis's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

18. SiIencio's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Hedonistic and personal, depicting a manner in which he also lived and loved, this is Fassbinder recounting his demons, excesses, indulgence and an extravagant sexuality through exquisite, opulent mise en scène. Emotions know no restrains in this theater of histrionic and unadulterated passions where Fassbinder seems to exorcise himself, indulge in forbidden fruits, posing languidly in decadent fashion.

19. unearthly_red's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

intense & kinda claustrophobic. also, that voyeuristic camera work!

20. emanuela's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

overly dramatic conversations ...

21. R's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

a visually appealing slumber party. nothing more, nothing less.

22. palombellarossa's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Oh oh, yes I'm the great pretender Pretending that I'm doing well My need is such I pretend too much I'm lonely but no one can tell

23. James's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

A fabulous ballet where light, camera and actors are dancers. Margit Carstensen is mind-blowingly good, making the mere flopping onto a bed seem riveting. How Marlene almost steals the whole thing without speaking I don't know, but the last scene is a kitsch masterpiece in itself.

24. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

I'm speechless. The quality of filmmaking on display here has sold me on Fassbinders deserving acclaim. Pure theatre and character direction.

← Previous 1 3 4