1. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Black Cat

2. Terri Wise's rating of the film The Black Cat

Rocky Horror could never have happened if it weren't for lots of films. This is definitely one of them.

3. Joel's rating of the film The Black Cat

Perhaps it was something about the era that cannot be revisited with the same level of suspension of disbelief but I truly found this film to drag. Everything felt bound up in the iconic characters that really didn't excel for me beyond what would be expected. I had hopes but found myself checking it off my list in disappointment.

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Black Cat

Lugosi and Karloff in their first teaming? No wonder its magical. Has absolutely nothing to do with the credited Poe story whatsoever, but this is a very interesting film with a rather complicated plot for the time period. I think it holds up wonderfully well, and the Satanic priest angle is not used, well at all, as a plot device in later films to my knowledge. Extra star added for great Karloff/Lugosi chemistry.

5. Aardsy's rating of the film The Black Cat

Even satanists vacation.

6. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Black Cat

Let that house be a space where phobias, war traumas, sexual obsessions and other sick things happen, as if they came out from the place itself, rather than from tight causality. Also, delicate cinematography.

7. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Black Cat

Karloff is the show; women in bottles, cool architecture...all great. Lugosi's acting style is very out of date. There is no other film like this.

8. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Black Cat

El detalle que me provoca más curiosidad de este filme tiene que ver con el diseño de arte. Karloff y Lugosi, ambos inmortalizados como personajes góticos, coinciden en un castillo no gótico, aunque sí macabro. La decoración modernista se aleja del mal agüero, más el gato negro parece predecir lo contrario. Y es cierto, bajo la mansión, lo gótico, expresionisma, necrofílico, el cine de explotación se manifiesta aquí.

9. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Black Cat

The photography made me shiver sometimes, because of how perfect it was. But then again not enough times to make me consider it perfect in its whole.

10. nein's rating of the film The Black Cat

Lugosi and Karloff in the one movie? Sir, you gotta love it. (Mind you - it has inspired Rocky Horror Show!)

11. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film The Black Cat

Not bad, but not particularly special either. It deals with some pretty interesting subject matter for its time, and I wish the movie was longer so it could spend a little more time delving into it. I left the movie wanting more out of story. The ending is pretty good though, and Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff are always great to watch. Overall, I wish it was longer.

12. Hazel Cills's rating of the film The Black Cat

Is this based on Poe's story? Because that description is the farthest thing from Poe's story.

13. Black Irish's rating of the film The Black Cat

In a strange way, both a better film than it should be and not as great as it could've been. Or to quote Werdegast, "Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not."

14. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Black Cat

15. lina maj's rating of the film The Black Cat

The house itself provides a good reason for watching "The Black Cat".

16. Dave's rating of the film The Black Cat

Full of atmosphere and expressionistic photography - at times, things move a bit like an eerie dream/nightmare. But, as some have commented, the plot is a bit plodding, and by the time it truly feels like it is going, things end. Just for the look of the film, I enjoyed watching it, but did feel like it was a bit of an incomplete work.

17. Scott Barley's rating of the film The Black Cat

A stunning opening 15 minutes, but sadly the film does not maintain this momentum. Still an enjoyable watch.

18. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Black Cat

The most epic widow's peak contest that cinema has ever seen! The plotting is unfortunately a muddle of half-sketched interesting ideas, but the style is fluid and fascinating—which is more than I can say for the more famous (and much worse) Dracula. 3 out of 5 stars.

19. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Black Cat

Christopher Smith, more than two years ago, wrote exactly what I wanted to say here. So see below. Recommended.

20. Matt's rating of the film The Black Cat

The ending freaks me out more than anything in the 'Saw' movies.

21. Erik Gregersen's rating of the film The Black Cat

Or, don't share your railway compartment with Bela Lugosi. But seriously, folks, this is one of the best films of the 1930, a dream of a shattered Europe that is both Art Deco (Poelzig's house is one of the greatest sets of all time) and Gothic.

22. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film The Black Cat

Unfortunately not the horror masterpiece it's been made out to be. Karloff and Lugosi are in top form, the legendary production design and expressionistic lighting make for some fantastic visuals; and some of the camerawork and the Satanic cult subject matter are decades ahead of its time - but the plot is plodding and clunky, and it doesn't really get going until the last 10 minutes or so.