1. Renton47's rating of the film The Black Stallion

Sure it's gorgeous and all, but what good is technicality when it masks some dangerous lies? Like a disseminated one, that an animal has value only insofar that a human gives it some. Until the final minute I had hopes this would undermine the unjustified 2nd half, a death to challenge the taming of the uncivilised. At least the actor seems to suffer as much as the horses.

2. Mark Tallo's rating of the film The Black Stallion

Just an amazing movie. Just watch it.

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Black Stallion

A visual masterpiece. Rooney plays basically the same part as he did in National Velvet.

4. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Black Stallion

A wonderful and beautiful film that's visually compelling. Specially the first half, it's a treat for the senses. I found the story and bond between the boy and the horse to be amazing.

5. Dèny's rating of the film The Black Stallion

impressive aerial shot on the horse-riding scene at the beach

6. msmichel's rating of the film The Black Stallion

One of the first films I can remember seeing in my formative years that made me realize cinema was so much more than just entertainment. Ballard's direction was peerless here transforming what could have been family pablum into something quite sublime. The near wordless first 45 minutes are spectacular sealing the relationship both between boy and horse, and story and audience. Kudos to Deschanel's camera work.

7. Tigrão's rating of the film The Black Stallion

Childhood nostalgia. I watched this film so many times.

8. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Black Stallion

"Iceman" references Seabiscuit.

9. DK's rating of the film The Black Stallion

Such a big part of my childhood. I was obsessed with this film (and its sequel). The almost wordless opening half really holds up, especially Caleb Deschanel's photography...

10. Jonathan Shields's rating of the film The Black Stallion

Astonishing cinematography, a magical touch with storytelling and two performances for all time- Kelly Reno and Mickey Rooney. You've never seen a kid act like that.

11. Susanna-Cole King's rating of the film The Black Stallion

Adapted from the classic book, this evoked in me potent, childhood nostalgia. The island scenes are staggeringly lovely, with the boy and his horse, however, the latter of the film pales in comparison to the earlier passages. For someone strange as myself, I sometimes correlate more with wild creatures than people, and I would have been wild about this one as a child. Horses are majestic, magnificent creatures.