1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Blind Owl

One of the weaknesses of the two 'Blind Owl' movies is that they presuppose a familiarity with the text. A truly great movie about this book would give you more insight to it. Ruiz layers the movie with metaphors, and movies within movies. Ideally they should make you want to read the book. The book is considered a masterpiece, but there's a caveat in that it caused people to commit suicide. Another 'Gloomy Sunday'.

2. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Blind Owl

A weirdly theatrical, grimy, onirical, uncomfortable and really personal adaptation of Sedag Hedayat's masterpiece about existential despair and the modern experience of chaos. If you like Ruiz's filmography in all its stranginess you won't be disappointed.

3. Diderot's rating of the film The Blind Owl

Bewitchingly organized and stylized-- would require more viewing for me to decide if it's good or not. But then again, Luc Moullet wrote this in a highly favorable review: "I've now seen 'The Blind Owl' seven times, and I know a little less about it with each viewing."

4. Marie's rating of the film The Blind Owl

5. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Blind Owl

A barmy phantasmagoria glutted with gauzy horrors of ecstatic beauty. Artaud is bestirred! Oh my!

6. Scott Barley's rating of the film The Blind Owl

After a somewhat imbalanced opening thirty minutes, this film becomes incredibly masterful in its lyricism; a vigorous sense of auteurship.

7. ExperimentoFilm's rating of the film The Blind Owl

Showing at NYFF50 on 5 and 6 October (http://www.filmlinc.com/nyff2012/films/raul-ruiz).