1. darioscha's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

onirica, surrealista, con toques del teatro exagerado de los 30's, hermosos efectos especiales y metáforas visuales

2. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

When a film is as contrived and surreal as this is, the film and craft must be absolutely perfect. In this way, the film is absolutely perfect. The touches and effects are brilliant and ahead of their time. The film also states plainly, though thoughtfully that it is using metaphor to speak to the artists condition. From this, the film shines its brightest. It shows the mind of the artist working in brutal detail.

3. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

With surrealist works like this, it's really all about what the viewer takes away from it. If this film works for you, that's fine. It did not work for me. For every clever or impressive image this film generates, there are many more where it feels flat. The performances are silly, the narration is ridiculous, and a lot of the scenes are just plain dull.

4. Corey's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Fun, weird, surrealist film.

5. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Cocteau's imagery has a curious logic and urgency, more so than other avant-garde works. I always have a feeling of initiation. The Nine Muses reincarnate; Erato with her piercing intuition, and Polymnia with lyrical form.

6. JoAnne Voightlander's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Holy mackerel, I'm so happy that I watched this. Without wild experiments such as this one, I strongly doubt the user-generated absurdist internet content of today, memes and all, could have existed.

7. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Visually striking, which is a given, but more so than I had anticipated it being.

8. David R Williams's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

"“Poets . . . shed not only the red blood of their hearts but the white blood of their souls,” an exploration of the plight of the artist, the power of metaphor and the relationship between art & dreams. One of cinema’s great experiments, this first installment of the Orphic Trilogy stretches the medium to its limits in an effort to capture the poet’s obsession with the struggle between the forces of life and death."

9. Myles's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Beefcakes tour the funhouse.

10. mike's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Reminds me Louis Aragon

11. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Not surreal enough to be surreal. Just peculiar. It's probably better if you are familiar with other avant garde films of that era.

12. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

As far as basic execution, there's not a whole lot to say about it since it's relatively absent of character (or conflict), even for a fairy tale. If there's anything especially positive to be said about it (aside from visual inventiveness), it's that the evocations are clear (from an artist marred by an expressive wound to a secretly devilish woman who can't touch pure emotion) and in line with Cocteau's work.

13. Paul Narvaez's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

It is what it is. At least, I can see the print clearer now.

14. bodhishin's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

Enjoyed just allowing it to present itself and trigger my associations and interpretations as in a dream. Also appreciated the the sectioned titles in the film, particularly the one named The Hotel of Dramatic Lunacies.

15. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

It's cinema as ART to be sure. Embodying emotions via the visual medium of cinema. Not that I enjoy this style as a movie in itself, but I certainly do respect the artist putting these ideas, images and special effect techniques on film. It's not a narrative so much as it as series of cinematic moments. So the EXPERIENCE of the movie is much greater than the actual end product. Definitely an artist at work here.

16. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

The dreamlike plot and the sometimes exceptional visuals make this film a remarkable example for Jean Cocteau's mixture of surrealistic ideas and poetical imagination. Thanks to Georges Auric's prolific score the film is also an acoustical benchmark in the histoy of experimental cinema.

17. Peter P. Peters's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

18. freskonthesfenks's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

19. lIZUKA's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet

"Despite its flaws, the film remains a fascinating souvenir of a vanished avant-garde."

20. Trunfos's rating of the film The Blood of a Poet