1. redux's rating of the film The Book of Life

Most transporting feature-length animation since 'Nightmare Before Christmas'. So good I didn't mind it's computer-animated.

2. Bianca Olteanu's rating of the film The Book of Life

3. Gia de Almeida's rating of the film The Book of Life

Visually beautiful, quite weak in pretty much every other aspect.

4. ramosbarajas's rating of the film The Book of Life

It's a solid effort, but plenty of bumps along the way. The narrative framing is bland and misses the mark, but once we're in the story, it picks up. There are funny moments (the grandma, anyone?), but the message is heavy and didactic, and it suffers from trying very hard to make all story points end in an uplifting way.

5. pluviosity's rating of the film The Book of Life

disappointed by the unneeded simplification, but it's a lovable animation, with great colors and designs too!

6. Sarah J.B.'s rating of the film The Book of Life

2.5/5. The film undeniably has moments of beauty, and the art direction is not to be scoffed at. As well, there are many instances in which (action) sequences are presented as if there really is a camera, often unseen in animation; effects range from hand-held motion to zoom to tracking, and it works well. That being said, the music, voice acting, predictable plot, and bouts of gaudy imagery are too much to swallow.

7. Hayat's rating of the film The Book of Life

This is really adorable, so creative and fun to watch. I want to give it a 4 for the fun they added to the soundtracks.

8. vicentmara@gmail.com's rating of the film The Book of Life

Something tells me that it all started with a mustache.

9. SiIencio's rating of the film The Book of Life

Children's animation movies are increasingly drawing their attention to the adult public and this one succeeds at also engaging at this level. Mixing folklore, stereotypes & fascinating visuals, The Book of Life also offers a string of valuable and complex moral lessons hard to find in films of this kind. The film however loses authenticity with the mariachi versions of current chart pop songs but what's not to like?

10. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film The Book of Life

An absolutely bog-standard children's story with terrible voice acting, awful music and garish design sensibilities. Both Mexican folklore and children who want to see a good movie deserve so much better than this.

11. Daniel Roque's rating of the film The Book of Life

Gutierrez's character style works well in 3D, but what really caught my eye were the visuals from the Land of the Remembered. I get Manolo's requirement to sing, but the whole mariachi-ed Mumford & Sons and Radiohead feels out of the place.

12. Tyler Aikens's rating of the film The Book of Life

The first half was nearly unwatchable for me, and I could have done without the cheesy Mariachi takes on English language pop songs (Radiohead, really?!). But the 2nd half (the Underworld scenes) is so breathtakingly gorgeous that you can't hate this movie even if Ice Cube is in it. Bonus points for the Cheech and Chong jokes.

13. Henrique Amud's rating of the film The Book of Life

Believe it or not, I thought the first 15 minutes really bland and confusing and just insufferable. But then it clicked. This is the kind of film I'd want my hypothetical children to watch.

14. Polyglot's rating of the film The Book of Life

todo el estilo, nada de sustancia. :/

15. Daniel Grudsky's rating of the film The Book of Life

Outstanding animation, art direction WOW. The story too predictable. What about the music? mmm....

16. Silvia Grădinaru's rating of the film The Book of Life

Predictable, yet captivating, this is one of the better animation films of 2014. The visuals are impressive, overflowing with colour, energy and life. Although a Mexican folklore tale, music we know from artists such as Radiohead is not excluded, nor are feminist touches, among others - adding Contemporary to the timeless flavour of the story. Lovely and delightful, truly a fantastic ride!

17. Tiago Gonçalves's rating of the film The Book of Life

The art direction is exquisite, which kinda compensates some questionable choices (Ice Cube voicing a god? or Why it always has to end up with a glorious fight?). And kids, keep an eye on Maria! She's what I call a role model.

18. Rafael Zen's rating of the film The Book of Life

The art direction is so beautiful, but I wish there were fewer and better jokes. The original soundtrack is horrible: some films should not be musicals. Again, the art direction is a delight to the eyes. Book of Life is serving Dia de Los Muertos realness.

19. Rui Silva's rating of the film The Book of Life

A good lesson for kids to learn.

20. glitchedplant's rating of the film The Book of Life

(sometimes) visually stunning and other times, too childish. i liked it more than many other things i've watched this year so it gets a 3.

21. Eingya's rating of the film The Book of Life

This is a flawed movie, that's for sure. Narratively is all over the place, the first twenty minutes feel too much like a tv edu-special and it is often not as funny as it thinks it is. But it more than makes up for it in good-hardheartedness and genuine inventiveness. Visually stunning and full with over-the-top mythological drama. It's almost impossible not to love it.

22. Luís S. Tavares's rating of the film The Book of Life

Beautiful images, and its fantastic how Maria was in a way feminist. Not the usual maiden in distress. Plus, the final message is great.

23. Luis Pires's rating of the film The Book of Life

Could be much better, the songs and ice cube kind of ruined it.

24. msmichel's rating of the film The Book of Life

Just remember that death is not the end. One of the year's most wonderful surprises is this fantastically told tale from director Jorge Gutierrez and co-writer Douglas Langdale. Chock full of wonderful ideas and exceptionally voice cast. From the refashioning of pop songs to the 'wink wink' touches for the adults this is a highly elevated so-called kids picture for all the animation buffs out there. Don't miss it.