1. Daniel Roque's rating of the film The Boy

I get the casting of Rainn Wilson because this is obviously inspired by Dwight Schrute's childhood.

2. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film The Boy

beautifully shot slow-burn take on evil being born by boredom and loneliness, but it only has the looks

3. Lutka's rating of the film The Boy

Starts slow but beautiful images and sound made me stay in the film. But then it completely captivated me with strange atmosphere and strong energy of a deranged boy... His loneliness is felt through the screen and the sound was used as we are in his head. Discrete but powerful film.

4. J. O.'s rating of the film The Boy

A disturbing meditation on how isolation and neglect may warp a developing mind. A suffocatingly tense atmosphere that allows for truly dreadful moments. All around good performances, with particularly good efforts from the boy himself and Rainn Wilson as the mysterious client. A surprising little find - looking forward to more from this new director. Oh, and the score was hypnotic - haunting, even.

5. opandadodavid's rating of the film The Boy

6. Igor Ramos's rating of the film The Boy

We Need to Talk About Ted... but there's no one around to do so! Morbid films with beautiful cinematography are something I often enjoy, so "The Boy" was right up my alley. Even if the third act felt a bit over-the-top, I can't say this didn't grab my attention right from the start: it showed the right amount of graphic images and had a nice soundtrack. Do I get extra points for having watched this on Christmas Eve?

7. dave gunn's rating of the film The Boy

To a fault, this film most successfully depicts the circumstances that could lead to who this little boy becomes, placing most of its time on really forcing on you the isolation and tedium of his life through a slow burn, long and mundane takes, and a tense score that repeatedly builds up to nothing substantial. This is shot well, but would have worked better as a short.

8. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film The Boy

I´m sorry to say that this was a clear misfire. I get the slow burn ambition and the intention to convey a sense of loneliness and monotony, but that does not help a vacous and boring movie. The director tries to gain some momentum by emplyoing some great cinematography, decent acting and awesome music and sound design but to no avail. Could have worked as a short, but as a feature this was horrendously inept.

9. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film The Boy

You can foresee the ending when you're already 20 minutes in the movie. Anyway Macneill directs a robust movie dense with atmosphere that makes you think US movies could be revived by these sort of "outskirts" tales.

10. Tiago Inácio's rating of the film The Boy

mood and atmosphere in portraying loneliness and languor of a young child in a rural setting. its slow pace and ponderous rhythm enhances the experience of this child point of view through his emotional descent. neat little thriller about this "Norman Bates distant cousin".

11. Giles J Davis's rating of the film The Boy

Proto-Bates is one of way of describing The Boy. Another is slow burning (excuse the pun). Although the theme of isolation makes for disturbing consequences at the hands of a child, the realisation of that isolation makes for boring watching. Morse is captivating as always but neglect, loneliness & ultimately child abuse leave such a bad taste in your mouth as they almost make light of such a horrendous subject. C-

12. Nick Schwab's rating of the film The Boy

Very disappointing new film from Spectrevision. While their first film, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, had a grand sense of pop-art that made the film feel unique and transcendental, The Boy's aesthetic is pompous and could use alot of editing to be more suspenseful. As its paper-thin story moves repetitively towards an inevitable conclusion, and thus creates a sense of monotony akin to the bored young character.