1. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

Talkier (though hardly verbose) and more conventionally dramatic than the films for which Hou would soon became famous, but pretty much perfect on its own terms as a film about the twilight of early adulthood, the sweetness and violent stupidity of boys being boys becoming men, and also, via unmistakable subtext, the excitement and depredations of a metastasizing marketplace.

2. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

If you do not give direction to life, life gives you directions.

3. Aaken's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

A Taiwanese version of Truffaut's 'Les 400 Coups'. Hou Hsiao Hsien's genius is caught in all his rawness and freshness. The young actors are irresistible. A beautiful tribute to youth and innocence.

4. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

5. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

6. Kamran's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

Hsiao Hsien's understated depiction of youth: its pains, its desires, and its transformation.Finding his rhythm. 83/100 - Great

7. Roberto Carlos's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

8. joey Noodles's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

Unlike much of Hou's later work this is a film that is rugged and rough around the edges, and in its own way is all the better for it. A film of incredible sadness and emotional pain, a hymn to growing up and youthful desire and ambition. Funny that they should be watching Rocco and His Brothers in the cinema, a film that in ways is so so similar. 5/5

9. Ari Ernesto MamaYukero's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

10. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film The Boys from Fengkuei

So glad ive finally got around to seeing this. I feel after seeing it I've understood HHH a lot more and I'm going to appreciate his later work even more. I found it strangely nostalgic yet foreign at the same time. Like a hazy mist of familiarities that in pieces feel like memories but as a whole feel like something I've never known. The comment below puts it very nicely and I'm glad Im not the only one.