1. Luis Pires's rating of the film The Browning Version

My first Asquith, and what a deliciously well-written work! Redgrave is incredible.

2. HSBilly's rating of the film The Browning Version

divine performance by redgrave, and remarkable minor performance by "the book"

3. David Churbuck's rating of the film The Browning Version

A great antidote to the maudlin treacle of Goodbye Mr. Chips. Redgrave at his understated best.

4. M****'s rating of the film The Browning Version

I am a softie for British earnesty

5. CriterionRefs's rating of the film The Browning Version

Mildly interesting the first time around, but a second viewing drew me further into the Crock's dilemma: dealing with a lifetime of emotional repression and a marriage that won't let him breathe. We're watching a man crack under pressure after years of maintaining a facade. I'll let you decide if there's an analogy to Tiger Woods here or not...

6. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Browning Version

Powerful,moving character study with an insight into an unhappy marriage. Brilliant dialogue delivered by an inspiring cast.

7. Stu Witmer's rating of the film The Browning Version

A tour d'force of acting and cinematography, but what really blew me away was the makeup. The extremely subtle and effective work by Biddy Chrystal (hair stylist) and W.T. Partleton (makeup artist) supported and enhanced the characters, particularly Redgrave and Kent. With the combination of great acting and makeup, it took me a few minutes to recognize the two actors, both of whom I've seen many times.

8. AKFilmFan's rating of the film The Browning Version

Compelling adaptation of the play with a stunning performance by Redgrave.

9. Doc Block's rating of the film The Browning Version

Taplow and crocks relation was something to see. Redgrave's performance worth noticing.

10. chanandre's rating of the film The Browning Version

[Cinémathèque PT #315: 35 mm]

11. Miasma's rating of the film The Browning Version

1951 was an impressive year, and I hate to think this film, a merely exceptional chamber piece, is to be overlooked - like the damn Crock. Applause!

12. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Browning Version

A tender and subtle study of resignation, loss and regret, sensitively handled by all concerned. Life is closer to this portrait than most commercial fine a would ever dare admit.