1. pluviosity's rating of the film The Candidate

too cold to be comedy, too soft to be a satire. ..although I wondered, if I watched this pre-2015, probably it would be better. Today's political scene is pathetically too grossly comedic to be satirized.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Candidate

Sur les coulisses d'une élection américaine, une oeuvre sympathique mais profondément superficielle qui ne nous emmène jamais dans l'arrière-cour des compromissions, des chausse-trapes et des magouilles. www.cinefiches.com

3. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film The Candidate

Lands without a punch even with the killer end line as reality has rapidly outpaced this satire.

4. MARK IS SUSPENDED IN GAFFA's rating of the film The Candidate

Anyone fooled by charlatan Obama should watch this film. Bill McKay (Robert Redford) is young (for a political candidate), charming, handsome and a Democrat. Bill says what he believes, gives straight answers--before he is corrupted by the political monster. A great dramatic satire about a hero becoming the very thing he despises. Peter Boyle is superb playing against type as campaign guru Marvin Lucas. Masterpiece!

5. Nancarrow's rating of the film The Candidate

Jeremy Larner in expert form as he transcribes the times' tides with the help of Ritchie and company. They package in detail the social and political ills that have taken root, continuing to under- and overwhelm the masses; unto the individual where one is left wondering, as Redford's McKay does, "what do we do now?"

6. Robin Marolla's rating of the film The Candidate

I adored this film. Robert Redford takes the young, naive, idealistic politician to new levels of sincerity and depth. Though it was made in 1972, it goes to show the political landscape in America hasn't changed at all, only the people. Highly recommended for the well written screenplay and the wonderful performances.

7. chasemiddaugh's rating of the film The Candidate

A more starkly serious version of Network but politics AND media instead of just media. Just as far ahead of it's time. More relevant now than ever before.

8. lasers8oclock's rating of the film The Candidate

Just not that good... does not bring up any ideas you haven't heard before, politics junkies avoid

9. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film The Candidate

Michael Ritchie is grossly underrated. After watching this and Downhill Racer and Smile (and, hell, I'll say it, Fletch!), I am starting to consider him one of my favorite American directors.

10. filipequintans's rating of the film The Candidate

De líder comunitário ao senado americano. E só para provar uma teoria maluca de um estrategista político. Must see.

11. Subterranean Cinema's rating of the film The Candidate

The greatest political film ever, and Redford's alltime greatest role as "the better way", Bill McKay (who bears striking similarities to Bill Clinton, 20 years before he entered the real political scene). Don Porter gives what should have been an Oscar nominated supporting performance as the charismatic grandfatherly right wing Republican incumbent who Bill must beat, Crocker Jarman. A+ classic film masterpiece!

12. Stephen Jay Walsh's rating of the film The Candidate

Along with Some Like It Hot, the greatest last line in cinema.