1. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film The Captive

Very underrated I think perhaps due to implausibilities in regard to story which is a shame because the structure is pure egoyan as is his finding humanity in lurid subjects.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Captive

Spontanément deux dénominatifs viennent à l'esprit sans hésitation, affligeant et saumâtre. En effet, sur un scénario d'une extraordinaire débilité qui accumule les invraisemblances psychologiques et les extravagances technologiques, le cinéaste concocte une histoire malingre avec des personnages sans aucune consistance ni véracité réelles, gigotant dans l'artificiel et le factice, lamentablement. www.cinefiches.com

3. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Captive

Here's a movie I wish I saw on the big screen. There is no other Canadian director - except maybe Denis Côté - that can film winter as good as him, some of the most quiet scenes, especially the meeting between father and daughter, are very strong. There is a good Atom Egoyan here; it's just a shame you also have to content with a bad Denis Villeneuve.

4. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Captive

The bad guy is one of the most disturbing cinematographic characters I've recently seen on screen. Masterpiece.

5. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film The Captive

A breathless thriller, a dark film with characters at the edge of madness ... And a strange ending ... Un suspense haletant dans ce film sombre aux personnages au bord de la folie ... Etrange fin ...

6. Bayu Oktavianto's rating of the film The Captive

7. Carolina Sousa's rating of the film The Captive

8. RumbleFish's rating of the film The Captive

Egoyan ha un modo di mettere tensione con niente che solo lui

9. sax_and_violins's rating of the film The Captive

a stupid ending to a boring movie.

10. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film The Captive

11. Edgar Echeverría's rating of the film The Captive

Diálogo ominoso, pero muy buena película, o quizás porque la vi en "4d" jaja

12. chanandre's rating of the film The Captive

Flew totally under everyone's radar. One of the best sleeper movies that came from Cannes 2014, hands down. A twin to Villeneuve's "Prisoners" & "Incendies" with an equally (if not creepier & sicker) shocking ending.Girl grew up to be what? A future paedophile? Will she rule the new ring? No one knows.That's what really creeps me out.Lot of Lang's pessimism and brutal realism.Scooby doo-like van wrecked my childhood.

13. Violins By Night's rating of the film The Captive

I just couldn't get to the end...

14. jxn's rating of the film The Captive

i wasted 2 hours of my pathetic life watching this.

15. Jason's rating of the film The Captive

It actually starts surprisingly well, but credulity, alas, can only be stretched so far. Egoyan, of course, cannot do emotion or sexuality (I assume he is an emotionless neuter), but he does atemporality really well. I am probably giving The Captive one more star than it deserves by virtue of its being just-plain-gobsmackingly capital-B Bizarre.

16. Ostermyers's rating of the film The Captive

This is so cold. I mean very vey cold.

17. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The Captive

An involuntary parody of Prisoners, Michael, Martyrs, and The Vanishing. Gimmicky.

18. Pater Ecstaticus's rating of the film The Captive

I never thought I will ever use 'boring' and Egoyan in the same sentence but unfortunately that's the case here. No nuance, no subtlety, nothing 'egoyanesque'. Just a sedated story with a crappy ending...

19. Addy K.'s rating of the film The Captive

Think of auteurs and Atom Egoyan usually comes to mind. But this maverick's transition into the mainstream has been less successful than say David Cronenberg. THE CAPTIVE has interesting ideas...but with a story that reeks of a trashy pulp novel, Ryan Reynolds' hammy acting and a villain whose motives are abstract or dumb or both, even Egoyan can't save the film from collapsing under the weight of its own mediocrity.

20. Loud Rocks's rating of the film The Captive

21. msmichel's rating of the film The Captive

What's strange is how it feels like a homage to Egoyan. What I mean is all the subtexts and peccadilloes of his work are there but it feels like it was made by some upstart or forger instead of the real auteur. Plotting at points gets almost sublimely ridiculous and poor Kevin Durand is truly absurd as the villain. Technically well put together of course but just so silly. The mainstream is not for you Atom.

22. __'s rating of the film The Captive

Insanely misunderstood and undervalued by critics so far, this is Egoyan's most accessible, entertaining and focused film since The Sweet Hereafter. I've never hated a movie villain so much.

23. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Captive

★★ a gimmick we don't really need.

24. melimoi's rating of the film The Captive

More of a 3.5 but as this film is being ridiculously underrated for no apparent reason, I thought I'd round it up to 4. Honestly, it's a good film.