1. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Captive

Fascinating, in itself and full stop, but also when considered in tandem with, and as a kind of corollary to, Verhoeven's Elle, to which it serves as only a partial corrective. Proust's source material--itself a halfway house in which Akerman's borrowed characters dither and moon--emphasizes the unknowability of the desired, and the undesirability of the known. At least among men and women. If that's what these are.

2. Johnny Seeker's rating of the film The Captive

To objectify the female character, place her in a window frame! Antonioni 101.

3. ammar's rating of the film The Captive

4. LauraPalmer's rating of the film The Captive

L'amour commence et se termine à la mer, toujours à la mer.

5. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Captive

Chantal Akerman beautiful observes the mechanical aspects of Proust's writing and the result is a haunting film that dares its audience to reflect both on the film and their own relationships

6. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Captive

7. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Captive

Staring Stanislas Merhar as The Captive <3

8. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film The Captive

ZZZZZ (I hope the Raoul Ruiz's interpretation is least cold).

9. ORIN INCANDENZA's rating of the film The Captive

10. Jp Diaz's rating of the film The Captive

A very touching mediation on two people caught on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the idea of love. The yearning that one character has to get to know everything about the other, is contrasted by the other character's desire to keep things pure by being as emotionally isolated as possible. The symmetrical images allow the feeling of captivity loom throughout the film--must watch!

11. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film The Captive

I can't remember another movie, besides one I made in high school on a broken Super 8mm camera, that makes such sustained use of nearly illegible underlit and unlit darkness. I admire that audacity, but I'm less enamored of the audacity to focus on two such annoying characters.

12. sandwiches's rating of the film The Captive

Don't ever trust a lesbian! Great adaptation of Proust and what an ending! Devastating.

13. fxfuxfx's rating of the film The Captive