1. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

2. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

One of my favorite films-- wish it was longer, as I'd like to live inside its images for a while.

3. Alex Ander 0's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Marker à la recherche des chats in the streets of Paris and the tunnels of the metro, the cats are calling for peace 'faites des chats pas la guerre', they are even creating their own films such as 'Le fabuleux Poulain d'Amélie Destin'. As Marker searches he finds not only cats but a foreboding, and the day of the invasion of Iraq unsuspecting metro passengers are blasted by audio explosions. Very kooky film. 5/5

4. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Pleasing free-floating feline psychogeography. Marker truly appreciates the necessity of cats. Fiercely and misanthropically humanist like Kurt Vonnegut in his old age. Not quite sure about his use of Marie Trintignant's murder in the last few minutes, but with Marker you're always in capable hands.

5. Nick Moon's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Diaristic ruminations on French politics at the beginning of the century. Wry, amused, playful and even surreal.

6. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

A film essay/documentary. It's Chris Marker, so even if there's politics involved everything seems dreamy and surreal... While I grasped the international bits the nuances of French politics were beyond my understanding, and these are interleaved during the whole experience. I guess for someone living in France, familiar with the realities, it would be much more enjoyable.

7. claire evans's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

It's great, had me till almost the end, but to hearthe murder of a woman described as something the murderer "would have to live with all his life" is just bullshit

8. Ben Dooley's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

A playful attempt to grapple with the growth of political anger among the young and the failure of a left-wing vision to speak to this mix of disillusionment and occasional hope. Marker searches for the grinning cat as it appears in Paris graffiti, at protest marches, flash mobs and among the homeless; for Marker it seems to represent a spontaneous creativity/art that can arise, as though willed from the streets.

9. Ark V's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Is protest dead? What other mechanisms are being used to engage others and consider change? Big questions not entirely answered but told in the inimitable Marker style.

10. Mikey's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

In this piece of work Marker combines eery visuals and images with a subdued narrative of the first years of the French 2000s. While I had not come across much of the specifically-French politics that was presented, it was interesting to see French responses to global issues of the period. An interesting and thought provoking documentary that I would recommend to my friends

11. Martin Hollis's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

There's something fascinating about this diary of thoughts and images.

12. Superfrog's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

A rare recording of my younger self. It is good to have it seen by somewhat of an outsider.

13. letters never sent's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

I don't have comprehensive and deep understanding of French politics, but I did grasp it on a more global scale.

14. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Ever watchable, if for the mere fact that you learn so much. Much closer to documentary than art this time, but no weaker for it

15. JCPJD's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Great - Love Mubi for putting all this Chris Marker up. Hadn't seen his stuff before. This one is cheeky. edit: This style can be seen very much in Haneke's Code Unknown.

16. Eloi Montel's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Ou est le chat?, chez bocal.

17. laurabot's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

18. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Interesting short Marker film essay/doc. Not his most ambitious one but all Marker is worth seeing.

19. - -'s rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

I can't say I understood all of it since I am not up on French politics (but the more I watch Marker films, the more I wish I was). I understood enough to get the feeling he was conveying and of course his humor and genius editing were present, as always. I wish he made more videos like this during this decade.

20. PolarisDiB's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

This movie is more difficult to non-Francophone viewers than Sans Soleil, but its localized focus on the street demonstrations of Paris and the proto-memeological M. Chat make it worth the visit into a type of geography more a projection of Marker's subconscious than a document of real streets. Having been to Paris, this is a parallel phantasm of the character that hides behind the commerce and commercial. --DiB

21. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

"It is a great asset in life not to know what you're talking about." This curious meander is an attempt to determine what people are talking about on the streets of Paris between 2002 and 2004. Marker is not at all certain that the people know themselves. But that they are on the streets, some of them, under the benevolent, supportive, mildly mocking grin of a cartoon cat may mean, perhaps, that all hope is not lost.

22. Ghazal Ahmadi's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

23. Cesar's rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

Guillaume! Je suis un Egyptien.

24. Aaron G.'s rating of the film The Case of the Grinning Cat

If you love Marker, which you should if you love film, you'll love this. Marker's apparently random strands coming together and then coming apart again to the max. And it's all about the grinning cats. WHy do they grin? where do they come from!