1. Adam GR's rating of the film The Castle

I love Kafka's ellipses in time, a dream felt realistically lived. Perfect for Haneke's muted, Austrian mise-en-scène. Susanne Lothar is reminiscent of Altman's Shelley Duvall. An almost palpable coldness surrounds as love, in its strangeness, warms and eludes. Why's it gotta be unfinished?

2. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film The Castle

Dry on the outside, juicy on the inside, Haneke on the flip side.

3. aliasgenius's rating of the film The Castle

Getting to The Castle, sure is a hassle.

4. Joel's rating of the film The Castle

A profoundly frustrating experience... as it turns out it is supposed to be. I paused a pilgrimage through Haneke to read this book before watching it and found the book to be exhaustive. The film adaptation does it justice but it is something I wish never to rewatch.

5. Linda's rating of the film The Castle

the ending made me so mad. but not as mad as reading the novel.. seriously though.

6. Diderot's rating of the film The Castle

A decent attempt at adapting Kafka to the screen. Ulrich Mühe is lovely as K.

7. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Castle

You never know what you're going to get with Haneke. There are so many nice touches in this film that it hardly seems like a TV movie. Of course Ulrich Mühe is outstanding. If you haven't seen 'The Lives of Others', you simply must.

8. Roman Horner's rating of the film The Castle

'Allein sein bringt nur Strafen', schreibt Kafka in seinen Tagebüchern. So fühlt man sich mit K. und Ulrich Mühe auch am Ende. Auch ein Verdienst von Haneke, der immer nah an der originalen Vorlage bleibt, seine eigene Handschrift aber unübersehbar ist.

9. Sancar Seckiner's rating of the film The Castle

The best Kafka I have ever seen.

10. ecstatic truth's rating of the film The Castle

I think Haneke's austere, stripped back style is perhaps too much for the source material- it does end up being a bit dull and lifeless.

11. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film The Castle

Not my favorite Haneke flick, but still well-acted and beautifully shot (as always). This was Haneke's last time doing made-for-TV films while making theatrical films, THE CASTLE remains a transcendental mystery simliar to Welles' THE TRIAL.

12. NEONBEAR's rating of the film The Castle

Interesting reading the synopsis. One of the first movies I was reminded of while watching this was 'The Trial". I loved both very much. Somehow both bring out my claustrophobia.

13. REH1101's rating of the film The Castle

Nicely filmed, though I found Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" to be a better lens into the troubles surrounding bureaucracy.