1. Victoriana Gaye's rating of the film The Cats of Mirikitani

Intriguing documentary made with heart and soul. Master Mirikitani's unjust imprisonment by the US and his ongoing determination to be a great artist which he is, is compelling viewing.

2. Rachael's rating of the film The Cats of Mirikitani

What starts out as a homeless person documentary with an artistic twist winds up as a poignant reflection on identity and its consequences during times of war. The cats are wonderful.

3. Kinch Kinski's rating of the film The Cats of Mirikitani

When Jimmy Mirikitani was 25 years old he was arrested, stripped of his citizenship, and imprisoned for more than three years by the US government. This beautiful, delicate documentary finds Jimmy, now 81, a homeless painter in New York. We fall in love with Jimmy as he tracks down lost family members and friends, and recounts his experience of oppression. All against the backdrop of post-9/11 racial profiling...

4. anita's rating of the film The Cats of Mirikitani

incredibly moving film

5. Mugino's rating of the film The Cats of Mirikitani

My demand for objectivity in a documentary goes out the window with this remarkable story. We witness an unexpected friendship shaped by two historic tragedies: 9/11 and the internment of Japanese Americans. The vivid artwork is but a hint of what Jimmy saw when he closed his eyes and seemed lost in the halls of memory. The DVD extras should be appended to the film; they bring a satisfying emotional closure.

6. botibol's rating of the film The Cats of Mirikitani

I found this to be really good, ultimately a feel-good story but with its shades and bitterness present. It also stands as an example on how the documentary film-maker doesn't need to be just an "observer of its subject", it's participatory action documentary.