1. hemachandra's rating of the film The Century of the Self

"We are governed, our minds are molded, our ideas suggested, and our tastes formed, by smoking men we have never seen or heard of…..........................." This documentary is like Errol Morris' version of The X-Files.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Century of the Self

Every once in awhile, I want a little dose of the truth. The fact is that the truth hurts. You can't take too much of it at a time. This is 4 hours long, and I like it because it expands upon things he's dealt with before, and will touch on again in later docs. This one goes into great detail on the jackal headed demon known as Edward Bernays, who considered all people to be idiots who need to be controlled. Nice.

3. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film The Century of the Self

Kalidaescopic composite/ drawing and analysis of many trends in social and political development which is very helpful in understanding why the Anglo-American system is as it is

4. Christopher Taylor's rating of the film The Century of the Self

This magnificent documentary marks the beginning of a sprawling conversation with masterful filmmaker Adam Curtis about why and how we became the way we are, for better or worse, in Western Civilization. Some things about democracy and capitalism can't be unseen...

5. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Century of the Self

One of the most important pieces of the last 15 years

6. El Biffo's rating of the film The Century of the Self

BBC doc w/ tons of nifty archival clips, some of which aren't even really of what the narrator is talking about, but they work so well as symbolism for what is being discussed that they slip by entertainingly. My favorite clip is of Sigmund Freud littering. But the images and ideas are repeated ad nauseum, and by the time we get to the fourth episode (Blair, Reagan, Thatcher, Clinton) it becomes unbearably boring.

7. Mert Kaya's rating of the film The Century of the Self

Very high quality documentary. One of the best I have ever seen.

8. goulton green's rating of the film The Century of the Self

Essential watching. P.R. phrase coined to replace word propaganda, how was woman smoking cigarettes taboo lifted, add an egg strategy to give housewife contentment, "people must be trained to desire", mass democracy "engineering consents", ... and many more that brought us to where/who we are. No wonder, once you sit in the wrong train all stops leads you to Trump and Clinton alike wrong stops.

9. Dignan's rating of the film The Century of the Self

First few episodes are very interesting and then it begins to fade...

10. tjim's rating of the film The Century of the Self

11. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Century of the Self

I have reservations with Curtis's methods, but the main reason I'm not giving this 5 stars is John Denver is in it.

12. fat_aleksey's rating of the film The Century of the Self

13. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Century of the Self

A fascinating, complex, precisely syncopated four-part suite that both identifies a prevailing monomania -- the centrality of the consuming self in contemporary culture -- and exemplifies a monomania of its own by overlooking various prominent counter-tendencies of the 20th century, from class, race, and national identification to the communitarian pretensions of fascism and family-values conservatism. Searing stuff.

14. Tom Noblett's rating of the film The Century of the Self

I saw this when it first came on TV and it altered my thinking. Curtis dismembers the 20th century self with surgical finesse. His selection and editing of archive material is a masterful appeal to the image hungry zip-edit generation, and is the perfect foil to a soaring yet penetrating polemic. All should watch.

15. Borges's rating of the film The Century of the Self

You can watch all 4 hours here: http://archive.org/details/AdamCurtis_TheCenturyOfTheSelf

16. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Century of the Self

17. Burcu's rating of the film The Century of the Self

“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy."

18. Claire Hirtas's rating of the film The Century of the Self

One of the most important documentaries. ever.

19. Th MZA's rating of the film The Century of the Self

Employing neither the tone of righteous disapproval expected in U.S. political discourse nor an appeal to nostalgia, Curtis traces individualism's history: Bernays adapts Freud's idea of subconscious desire, invents PR; psychoanalysis rises to combat perceived widespread mental illness; later psychoanalysts reject control, favor self-actualizing; politics mirrors business, sells you you. Mathematical, metal, 'mazing.

20. Jerome Magajes's rating of the film The Century of the Self

Wow...that's a 2002 ''20th-century'' theme!!!! I love these events.

21. NE1's rating of the film The Century of the Self

THE quintessential documentary on the 20th century. An unblinding examination of why we are the way we are. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6718420906413643126#