1. ramiah's rating of the film The Chaser

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The Chaser

If I stopped following you today, and you left a positive review of this movie, please unfollow me back. MUBI: please define “stylish” and ask what it is in the service of rather than promoting it as a self-sufficient virtue. Others: define "thrilling" and ask what thrilled you. Ditto "gripping". We could blame Tarantino, but he was not the first; he is an enabler and a symptom, like any of you who praised this.

3. Charles Laughlin's rating of the film The Chaser

I only got to watch the first half, but for a serial killer thriller, this was one of the most innovative and provocative I've seen. By probing the thin scraps of remaining humanity in the police detective-cum-pimp who pursues the psychotic killer, and showing how internal and external politics and fear of responsibility hobble law enforcement, Na Hong-jin crafts a grim comedy of errors. Shades of Kurosawa Kiyoshi.

4. Deloret's rating of the film The Chaser

An expertly crafted K-thriller which could be easily confused for a revenge film rather than a police-procedural and a tale of morality. Patting the good, bad and the evil into the same ugly footpath, Na Hong-jin's The Chaser is a nasty, brutal and intense film that offers little in the name of redemption.

5. James Van Fleet's rating of the film The Chaser

Passable, thanks to the chase scenes that capture the confusion and exhaustion of chasing someone through these empty narrow streets. The fine acting also helps. The rest feels retrograde (the women don't come alive), obvious (Flawed Detective vs. Sniveling Killer), and tasteless (a scene with a hammer and chisel goes on too long). Not on the level of "Memories of Murder," but that might be an unfair measuring stick.

6. Aristogeiton's rating of the film The Chaser

A beautifully directed, tragic thriller.

7. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film The Chaser

I don't know what's happened to me. Perhaps I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown but I worry so much about my children and the women in my life that these types of films have started really upsetting me. It wasn't always that way. I used to love them. Now I just think they add to the general anhedonia that has so infected our society that irrational cruelty and a lack of empathy infect us like a virus.

8. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Chaser

It's such a strange phenomenon to really like a film without actually enjoying the process of viewing. This is what I have called the "Requiem For A Dream effect" since college, and this dark Korean thriller fits that perfectly. Surprisingly more of a procedural than a standard revenge flick, Na Hong-Jin earns a spot on my watch list after this and The Wailing, both top notch.

9. zubee's rating of the film The Chaser

10. Jeffrey Melone's rating of the film The Chaser

fantastic. a well written, directed, edited and scored movie. Bravo

11. ArkenUltor's rating of the film The Chaser

A true masterpiece of a crime drama. had me yelling and white knuckled the whole way through. Watching the progression of the killer, who seems to be weak at first, into the truly dark monster that he was had me mortified. the gritty realness of this film is wholeheartedly gripping. Although I will say the film is crushingly frustrating at times, not for the faint of heart.

12. Dino4's rating of the film The Chaser

Great action. One of my all time favorite Korean revenge films. Highly recommend.

13. Luis Marmolejo's rating of the film The Chaser

The Chaser directed by Na Hong-Jin, was an action packed, thrill ride through the slums of Seoul, South Korea. Leaving me on the edge of my bed throughout the entirety of the 2 hours. Watching "the chaser" zoom through narrow corridors for long periods of time left me almost trying to catch my breath for him. Despite the suspense, it had heart-warming moments that added to the dimension of the film. Would recommend.

14. Sean Honey's rating of the film The Chaser

What an over-dramatic long winded Fart. I enjoyed this until the writing took a turn into Nerdville and all the dramatic string music started to stink up my apartment.

15. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Chaser

(4.5 stars) Taut thriller with several unforgiving moments that stun and terrify. More than just a police procedural and more brutal than you expect. Unfolds in many surprising ways. Top notch Korean film!

16. David Perez's rating of the film The Chaser

No stars. A fairly driving and charged first 20 minutes. But if you do watch this movie, be careful not to fall into one of the many and gaping plot holes. A textbook example for screenwriters regarding "mistakes to avoid on your scripts 101."

17. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Chaser

Near-Hitchcockian in its themes and character assassinations of human nature: cops are idiots, some people are jacked up, and some Wrong Men can be, at least somewhat, redeemed. And perhaps, the relationship with the child is the secret. The child means something contradictory, uplifting and melancholic, about Korea's future. After all, this serial killer truly existed, and provides realism like shock treatment.

18. tinderness's rating of the film The Chaser

Wann endet das Leiden an eigener Schuld? Kann denn je vergeben werden? Und was muss man dafür tun, wenn man sich endlich als moralisches Wesen begriffen hat? Mich erinnert der Film an Bad Lieutenant von Abel Ferrara, weil er diesselben Grundfragen behandelt. Unbedingt empfehlenswert und sehr weit entfernt von Fernost Krimigetöse.

19. speedball's rating of the film The Chaser

20. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film The Chaser

21. Nathan Silva's rating of the film The Chaser

Riveting. This movie oozes originality. I haven't seen an agressive, pungent, intense from start to finish thriller like this since Se7en.

22. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Chaser

A crime film in two parts; one, a gritty crime thriller, the other a farce about cops who fails at everything. A less pure Dirty Harry, in which fascism may not actually be the answer.

23. Harald Grimnes's rating of the film The Chaser

Utter sad, exciting, high pulse, well done

24. Matilda Höög's rating of the film The Chaser

Around a 4 generally, but the beginning and the end pushes it up to a weak 5. Really good. Funny and terrible at the same time.

← Previous 1 3 4 5