1. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film The Club

Loved the atmosphere and the acting. The plot is refreshingly unpredictable throughout and a Bunuel-sque quality is striking. A deeply human film. The soundtrack is, however, a bit corny and there are a couple of rough edges.

2. Steve5by5's rating of the film The Club

Strong performances and a very interesting concept that fell a little flat for me but ultimately worth a watch

3. conorismo@gmail.com's rating of the film The Club

Stunning film, full of humour and menace. Superb performances by the ensemble cast, and wonderfully placed in the landscape, town, street and house.

4. Dimitris's rating of the film The Club

Larraín and Armstrong create the most beautifully ugly shots.Their slightly overexposed, wide angle shots with the bluish tint, could have signified the Divine(openness,brightness,sky).But no. The wide angles are distorting, the blue is sickly & the overexposure washes out the colors.It feels as if everyone in this "purgatory" is surrounded by an endless emptiness.Redemption isn't coming.God doesn't live here anymore

5. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Club

The atmosphere is thick and suffocating in this drama about denial and ultimately repentance. Everything is masterfully controlled by Larrain, from the nuanced and excellent performances, the roaming camera work and the operatic finale. Beautifully dull cinematography serves to reinforce the story further. Possibly Larrain's best work.

6. John Burgess's rating of the film The Club

A film that pulls no punches. Can you forgive these people? Is it not enough to leave them in peace, to live with their own guilt? Apparently not, and Larrain deftly outmanoeuvres our expectations as he places these four on a path of true repentance. A wonderful film - difficult to watch in places, but stitched together with a rich soundtrack that balances the film well. I shall be watching Larrain closely on Mubi.

7. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Club

Director Pablo Larrain doesn't really ever make bad movies, from my experience of his work, and this is one of his best. The uncomfortable subject matter and more squirm-inducing scenes hide what turns out to be a rather beautiful and haunting mix of pitch-black comedy and intense drama. The script is sharp, and all of the performances match it.

8. Jegsy's rating of the film The Club

Dark, foreboding subject matter explicated through razor sharp dialogue and pitch perfect performances throughout. A genuinely disturbing and remarkable film.

9. Christine's rating of the film The Club

We are holier than though! A much treaded upon topic, but slightly wackier. Beautiful small town coastal scenery provides the backdrop to this strange tale of a community of priests whose tranquil lives are disrupted by new-comer priest who brings his haunted past with him. They are forced to do penance of their own pasts to ensure their futures. The Arvo Pärt soundtrack is very fitting. Worth a watch!

10. Francisca's rating of the film The Club

11. reece's rating of the film The Club

This film is a masterwork. Total brilliance from start to finish. Bravo Pablo Larraín.

12. Pango's rating of the film The Club

Another fantastic Larrain film. Arvö Part music is sublime.

13. oooooo's rating of the film The Club

14. hemachandra's rating of the film The Club

15. Victor's rating of the film The Club

16. MarcelVonPure's rating of the film The Club

I wonder what Arvo Part would say..

17. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Club

Cruel and troubling. Larrain's film has no love for the people it presents, but it gives them time regardless. Not so they can redeem themselves, or to humanize them to our empathy, but to educate us to the extent of of their evil, to its everyday appearance and habits. Troubling and cruel.

18. Patrícia Nunes's rating of the film The Club

'a dysfunctional brotherhood of shame'

19. astygianelysium's rating of the film The Club

The film refuses easy access to characters' interior lives; all you have is each person's word to balance against the infinity of possible "truths" that the words might be masking. (The Cinemascope aesthetic further fogs up your view of the priests' psychic lives). Victimhood cannot be easily ascribed to any given person: each connives and plots after their own unique desires. To repent would mean to give desire up.

20. blyniukas's rating of the film The Club

It is definitely a memorable film, it carries a strong content and makes one shudder at the mere idea of the depths this sort of evil comes from and wonder about its origins - on some level it's got this Lynch or von Trier effect, where the human element is so realistic and reeks of sadism. Makes you cringe in your seat.. A necessary film but oh so hard to watch..

21. Reynaldo Goulart's rating of the film The Club

22. Joel's rating of the film The Club

An elegantly difficult film, I appreciated it's honest and scathing perspective on a trying subject. I find religious folks are often portrayed in extremes in cinema, either one dimensional saints or villians or fools. This film tried to add nuance but it also lacked entirely in grace. I'm grateful I watched it but I'm not sure what to make of it.

23. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Club

24. DanielST's rating of the film The Club

Visceral. La película quema. Un tema que siempre debería ser discusión, especialmente en latinoamérica. El desarrollo de algunos personajes flojea al final de la película. Todo lo demás, impecable!

← Previous 1 3 4