1. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Collector

2. Martin Wilson's rating of the film The Collector

Wyler is not usually regarded as an auteur. But...consider these films on the theme of doomed love. JEZEBEL, WUTHERING HEIGHTS, THE LETTER, THE HEIRESS, CARRIE. They all ultimately converge down in the cellar of this film. There you will meet Frederick, somewhere between Norman and a young Hannibal. He is the most unnerving of all men. A tender psychopath, in 'love.' Stamp's performance is, in a word, unforgettable.

3. Log Lady's rating of the film The Collector

Despite having read the book, this still kept me engaged. Stamp portrays Freddie perfectly by subtly changing his demeanor whenever his mood changes, and Eggar complements his performance but still shines on her own. I'm glad the book's ending was retained, because it's way more sinister, and the whole film would have otherwise seemed pointless and anticlimactic.

4. Thomas's rating of the film The Collector

Intense psychological thriller. Exudes menace in a sedate, sinister way.

5. Cichlisuite's rating of the film The Collector

6. Steve G.'s rating of the film The Collector

Watch this with an American and see their reaction to the bit where he finds out he's won the pools.

7. janh24's rating of the film The Collector

A little bit sprawling, but two strong lead performances.

8. ajdehany's rating of the film The Collector

Tremendous performances. Terence Stamp is chilling but incredibly and disturbingly manages to elicit concern/pity. Creepy!

9. Láďa Tvarůžek's rating of the film The Collector

Is it only me, or music was bit too optimistic at some of the scenes?

10. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Collector

11. Superfrog's rating of the film The Collector

Frankly, don't. All this film attempts misfires. The image is pleasing in parts.

12. alimcintyre's rating of the film The Collector

Two formidable performances by Stamp and Eggar. It is an impressive feat for two people to hold ones attention for two hours.

13. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film The Collector

I seem to recall bunking off school to see this, way back. Not as chilling now as it was then, nor as atmospheric as Seance on a Wet Afternoon (partly shot in my old school grounds - that cracked bell). Two bright new stars hit the screen with this unusual Wyler thriller.

14. FISCHER's rating of the film The Collector

Vénéneux chef-d'oeuvre d'amour obsessionnel et de folie tenace d'où émerge sombrement la forte prestation de Terence Stamp, inoubliable... www.cinefiches.com

15. Tja's rating of the film The Collector

Terence Stamp is great as a Norman Batesesque stalker-kidnapper, 1965 style. The plot isn't exactly fast-moving, but its hard to anticipate the next twist. Good to know London traffic was so light back in the day that TS could stalk the luscious Samantha Egger from the comfort of his slightly weird camper van. Pity he never discovers what's beneath the folds in his ridiculously long rain coat and what to do with it.

16. Al Green's rating of the film The Collector

A gem of a film. Made around the same time as 'Blow up' and with a similar deep internal narrative going on. I love the British class subtext that is brought into the middle of such an internal psychological thriller. As an outsider, Wyler could see clearly the rise of the working class voice in British cinema and bring it subtly into the film. Stamp's piercing eyes & awkward movement help portray his psychopathy.

17. 'king Harold's rating of the film The Collector

Good for London location spotting at the beginning,Holborn, Hampstead etc Terry reminds me of James Dean with his funny poses, he's such a ham, esp the rain scene. Samantha Eggar is much more subtle and skilful.I had rather un pc fantasies of conking women out with chloroform when I was about 10, it was all the rage in the 60's, they had that hankie out all the time,nothing a few years of therapy couldn't sort out.

18. baronvonchuck's rating of the film The Collector

'Love is like a butterfly. Hold it too loose and it will fly away. Hold it too tight and it will crush' Loved the way Terence Stamp slips from a needy, desperate demeanour to icy psychopath at the flick of a switch. Great performances all round with limited surroundings however, the technicolor visuals were a delight.

19. Mark Commode's rating of the film The Collector

buggered a good book. Can see why there is no mention of john fowles as he probably didnt want his name near it. The soundtrack is like something from a western. the complex character relationship isn't conveyed but at times did think it was like she had ben kidnapped by a brexiteer which was quite funny, the art scene comes to mind and is very familiar. In the book the girl seems like a genuine slade student btw

20. miles's rating of the film The Collector

I couldn't help being reminded of peeping tom whilst watching this. It is rather good.

21. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Collector

Despite it is a bit outdated it is a well elaborated thriller. For its style it reminds me Peeping Tom by Michael Powell.

22. -REM-'s rating of the film The Collector

23. flaneur's rating of the film The Collector

If you wanna watch this because you like the book, then don't.

24. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Collector