1. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Some of these images will never leave my memory.

2. Jason's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

First saw THE COLOR OF POMEGRANATES many years ago. Kinda blindsided me. I was aware of having a powerful audiovisual experience (despite watching a muddy VHS tape on a cathode ray tube set), but was aware that a whole heap of cultural signage was beyond my ken. So maybe let this review be primarily a review of the new Criterion Blu-ray which looks/sounds phenomenal and includes reams of beneficent contextualizing.

3. Benjamin Reid's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Very aesthetically pleasing but super dry. I would rather watch Tarkovsky to get some beauty with substance.

4. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Images I've never seen anywhere else. Masterpiece.

5. Freddie's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

"Poetry isn't written to be analyzed. It is meant to inspire without reason, to touch without understanding." I remember reading this quote somewhere and thinking, "Bingo, that's what Sayat Nova is all about, only in cinematic terms."

6. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

7. empathymachine's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

a mysterious and extremely beautiful ancient text somehow captured in time and beamed onto my tv screen 300+ years in the future

8. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

it's true, you must view with a degree of disengagement. it is a visual triumph.

9. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

C'est tres belle et emouvant, mais je crois que je droit apprendre un peut d'histoire de l'Armenie et l'orthodox russe (tr?) avant qu'un re-voir de le film.

10. Graveyard Poet's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Hypnotic and intoxicating--Sergei Parajanov's meditative and spiritual tableaux exploring the life of the Armenian poet Sayat Nova is one of the crown jewels of world cinema. So excited to see it has finally been added to the Criterion Collection. (Now I'm looking forward to them releasing his Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, my favorite film of all time.)

11. Aukse's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

12. Alex Hall's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

13. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

97/100 ( Korkuyorum, ürküyorum. Senin filmlerini hiç izlememiştim Sergei. Ama artık sanırım hiçbir şey eskisi gibi olmayacak. Sayat Nova'nın dediği gibi Cehennem kırmızısı ve lanet siyahı ile hayat daha da zor. Filmin her bir karesi bir tablo, her bir müziği sanat eseri. Ah bir de konuyu dinden uzaklaştırsaydı. Neler olurdu. Düşünemiyorum. )

14. ShawnD's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

What to make of this strange, unclassifiable curiosity? It's non-linear, the people in it don't act so much as perform for the camera and it's nearest antecedent as far as I can tell is early Bunuel. This may scare off most, but it shouldn't. I can see how each scene representing a line of Nova's poetry but deciphering that is a fool's errand. What's most compelling is the depth scope of the imagery. And the animals.

15. Elena's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Perfection, think I should rewatch.

16. Anca.'s rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

A poet may die, but not his muse.

17. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

18. Joel Shelton's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

This film is more about embracing the cryptic and visually dazzling journey, rather than understanding the poetic meaning and symbolism behind every frame.

19. Alex Mitici's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

cristos rooz lsd şi cosmoos

20. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

A Pontormo's ecstatic 'tableau vivant'. Parajanov - I guess - owes so much to "Orphic Trilogy" by Jean Cocteau.

21. Roslyn's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

I've waited years to see this film and finally that day arrived. Probably the most beautiful and poetic film ever. Painfully gorgeous, it made my heart cry. The beauty is overwhelming. Every single frame is a work of art. Incredible!

22. Lex Lucas's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

23. ADZERTY's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Esthétiquement, c'est réussi !

24. Pierre.F's rating of the film The Color of Pomegranates

Le film est distribué pour la première fois en 1969, il est interdit par l'URSS. Film fascinant et très poétique par la composition et la fascination suscitée par les plans très riches. Le film est une succession de pauses, redupliquant ainsi la fiction liturgique dans l'attitude du spectateur : il y a là presque une liturgie de l'image par sa fixité, sa lenteur, son luxe rare et son caractère sacré.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7