1. Subit Chakrabarti's rating of the film The Conformist

Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is a technical masterpiece with some of the best light and shadow work I've ever seen. Every frame is perfect with a lot of thought put into camera angles. The story is really good too and sucks you into it head first.

2. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Conformist

Beautifully shot and remarkably well-crafted. Bertolucci earns his reputation by enveloping us in a tragic tale of an emotionally wounded man struggling between his troubled past, complicated present and desire of a blissful future. The artistic direction is quite stunning as is the use of light and color selections. The bad dubbing is my only knock on it, but overall, this is a heartbreaking and fascinating film.

3. ramadancaysever's rating of the film The Conformist

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Conformist

Great film, but it's reputation left me wanting a bit more. Storaro's cinematography is the main reason to watch, as it is art of the highest caliber. The story though, while admittedly interesting, felt a bit cold, distant, and removed. Perhaps this was the intention, but I can't help feeling the film misses classic status as a result by a hair's length. Still, a film that comes very close to perfect. 4.5 stars

5. 7777777's rating of the film The Conformist

This film is so damn good. Honestly, Bertolucci's skills are on such a different level it's just mind-boggling... wow wow and wow

6. CHRIS's rating of the film The Conformist

Amazing visual aesthetic. This story is much more than a film about a secret agent, it is a film of inner thought, and how one can feel so lost in the world, but appear together by outside viewers. The struggle of sexuality and belief systems are powerful topics that add layers to the main character and the story as a whole.

7. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The Conformist

I guess I'm not a conformist. I can't give this five stars. It's well made, and it's definitely well photographed. It just doesn't compel the viewer the way the great movies do.

8. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Conformist

One of my all-time favorites, though the best way to watch it is on the big screen with the proper aspect ratio. Brilliant humor and terrifying sadness. This time I noticed how the women calling "Marcello" sound like all the women calling "Marcello" in "La Dolce Vita." And all the animal furs & dogs---a meditation on man as beast and man vs. beast.

9. Fabien S's rating of the film The Conformist

Un film d'une beauté éternelle

10. chaospress@yahoo.com's rating of the film The Conformist

Amazingly shot and edited. Scary as hell. The three main players are fantastic.

11. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Conformist

4-5. Has an absolutely brilliant handle on visual language, from basic bits like guns as phalluses and nudity as authenticity to more ephemeral ideas like flickering/blinking light reflecting the self bobbing above and below the surface. Its approach to its female characters is a tad sketchy (that first kiss assault towards Anna), but manages to rebound pretty well, especially in its ending. Magnifique, overall.

12. Steve73's rating of the film The Conformist

13. Juliana Senra's rating of the film The Conformist

14. Walker's rating of the film The Conformist

Bertolucci's baroque stylings are wonderfully effective. A powerful film

15. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Conformist

16. Eriugena82's rating of the film The Conformist

Quite good, but for me, not as good as it's reputation suggests. Storaro's cinematography is incredible and the film is worth watching as pure visual art. The main story itself is an interesting blend of political thriller and a psychological examination of it's main character, an exploration his desire to conform. Presumably this was the point, but while it was very stylish it felt a little too cold and sterile.

17. hemachandra's rating of the film The Conformist

18. Luca Soldati's rating of the film The Conformist

Narrazione con un andamento non banale, né conciliatorio, ma che porta avanti un dramma umano in un contesto difficile. Il protagonista, per essere come gli altri annulla la propria identità. Finale bellissimo in cui lui dimostra di aver perso la propria identità. La regia stilisticamente invidiabile, con inquadrature stupende e visivamente curate. Personaggi ottimi con una psicologia fantastica.Fotografia bellissima

19. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Conformist

El fascismo italiano en un caso, la de un hombre que simpatiza por querer ser un ciudadano del "lado correcto". Bertolucci provoca la rutina de entonces mediante un simbolismo espacial (inmenso y sofocante), una sociedad ciega, loca y castrada; en tanto, los no conformistas, viviendo el exilio. La amante de sexualidad no reprimida, distinto al protagonista, habitando en la caverna, niega su pasado pos a la normalidad

20. gld48's rating of the film The Conformist

one of the most beautifully shot films ive seen yet

21. Julian's rating of the film The Conformist

22. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Conformist

23. Zach Closs's rating of the film The Conformist

A very transgressive film about conformity, a very stylish film about the sterile, a very political film about blind patriotism and a very erotic film about abuse: "Irony is the gaiety of reflection and the joy of wisdom." Especially where Bertolucci is concerned. Cinematography and atmospherics are truly luscious; few filmmakers today have the balls to give the camera this much agency.

24. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Conformist