1. Kyle Knapp's rating of the film The Contender

Near great, but marred by silly theatrics that do nothing but contrive reasons for the actors to do and say great things; the final ten minutes are especially preachy and cliché-ridden. Allen, Bridges, and Oldman, three of the greatest actors alive, rise above it all to form an incredible trifecta.

2. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Contender

Good solid stuff, unshowy but decent, but the dousing of schmaltz we got at the end was a proper letdown

3. Superfrog's rating of the film The Contender

I can't blame the trying but, by its holy tentacles, it is not subtle. I have grown allergic to the good, ally, evil narrative that completely obscures the comunal aspects of respect and morality. In this film, what ought to come out is that gender is irrelevant and ought to be treated so; what comes out is that isolated heroes are required to curb the evils of archvilains while the rest stay on the side. Whatever.

4. ascope's rating of the film The Contender

great first half, fantastic Oldman, the end spoils it, especially the music!!!

5. janh24's rating of the film The Contender

Some of the ugliest cinematography I've ever seen.

6. Sukaina Kubba's rating of the film The Contender

started off promising. smart and great actors. then turned into an unbearably soppy cheese fest

7. kenneth allinson's rating of the film The Contender

dreadful! It should have been good, but the plot is appallingly bad, plus unbearable music ... silly, although the acting is good. Pure Hollywood.

8. Chichi Latté's rating of the film The Contender

Would be better if every shot with Jeff Bridges going on about walnut and cuttlefish sarnies was replaced with Gary Oldman ruining someone's life. The Washington spindoctoring chicanery put me in mind of Robert Altman's Tanner '88 (he did it better over a whole series), and the cheesefest ending made me want to rewatch Errol Morris' The Unknown Known to debrief me back into reality. Still, not bad telly.

9. Paul Larke's rating of the film The Contender

Great performances - especially Gary Oldman - but dear, oh dear, don't make me swallow a 'purity at the heart of the White House' narrative.

10. Doug Grenier's rating of the film The Contender

The fine performances of Joan Allen, Jeff Bridges, and the chameleon-like Gary Oldman make this political drama worth viewing.

11. Another Take's rating of the film The Contender

Good political, all-American thriller, with Gary Oldman as his usual chameleon self stealing the show.

12. Barboza's rating of the film The Contender

Gary Oldman as the ultra conservative is one of my favorites performances. Minus a few hokey moments this is a really well executed film.

13. Cesar Colondres's rating of the film The Contender

I did not see this when it first came out, but I do like the actress (Joan Allen). I thought she gave a Oscar winning performance (all she got was nominated). Maybe it was better I didn't see it when released because it was released in a political hot time. But the movie had great performance's (Slater could of done better) and a surprising ending if you never saw a trailer or read some people's reviews. 5 Stars!

14. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film The Contender

great movie! i really liked jeff bridges and christian slater and joan allen...dammit i just liked the whole cast!!!