1. ap's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

2. jacline huet's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

3. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

2.4 stars. Just too nasty for me if I'm honest. It's certainly a feast to glut oneself to bloatation on, though I think you need a more humanist, compassionate filmmaker than Greenaway to really puncture the greedy ideology of Thatcherism. Probably the Nyman score I listen to the least as I find it so aurally disturbing (and I say this as a fan of The Residents!) Well played, but sits like a lead weight in the belly.

4. Ramzi's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Dreadful first 20 minutes, not particularly bothered whether it improved after that.

5. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Michael Gambon pushes the boundaries on how far it is possible to be offended and disgusted by a character on film in this unique dark comedic, erotic, horror satire that also feels like a modern staged Shakespearean play. The set design, music and acting levitate the film to a higher grade and it is fascinating to follow the supporting characters when other characters talk too as there is a lot happening here.

6. Aulia Indry's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

having a good mood when you saw first time at screen. I just cant stop admire how wonderfull colour they made on every setting. We can drowning as much we watching. I dont get borred with everysingle detail they made. I just really love red who made they feel glorious, then became green who had every friendship when we see. And the last we can saw white with honest, only "me".

7. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

I have very little experience of Peter Greenaway, having only ever seen this film and The Baby Of Macon, but he has impressed me so far. This held up even better on a rewatch than it did the first tme around for me, with Michael Gambon on top form as a despicable human being and Helen Mirren matching him as his suffering wife.

8. riraru's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

9. Lola Margrain's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

10. eberhard's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Peter Greenaways quintessentielle Darstellung der Welt. Ein Spektakel üppiger Desillusion.

11. Dimitris's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Palpably intense from the very first frame till the last. Repressed desires, excess, abjection, lust, violence, death... Greenaway indiscriminately intermingles the most intense human experiences, leaving no boundaries between them (besides, everything will come out as shit in the end). Whether it is a critique of Thatcherism, capitalism, bourgeois institutions or simply a tale of love and revenge, this is a must-see

12. Daunay's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Qu'elle immense réalisateur. Magnifique film. Une construction génial d'un architect du cinéma. Un casting superbe

13. Steve Todd's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Visually amazing and challenging film. I last saw it nearly 30 years ago and yet images were still strong in my mind. This time I realised it also works as a parable of the Catholic Church and the Enlightenment, though not sure if that was ever intended.

14. McOpinionated's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Something about the ending breaking the otherwise consistent style spoils this and denies it 5 stars. Contrast it to the lorries, the still life of ingredients. To the kitchens. To the lovers, the food, the tableaux of powerful men. This finale is not a scenario or concept that appears in art history - but a similar visual scenario could have been. For original concept, execution and bravery 5*.

15. Henk Lamers's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Final score: 8. Storyline: 8, Originality: 9, Cinematography: 8, Involvement: 8, Sound: 8, Editing: 8, Educational: 7, Title design: 7, Acting: 8, Interesting: 9, Unusual: 8, Exciting: 7, Superior: 8

16. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A rare type of experience that blends the baroque and science fiction (like Blade Runner) - but is performed like theatre. In a league of its own. I really must check if Jeunet and Caro came before Greenaway.

17. Udo N. Owen's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Eine emotionale Achterbahnfahrt, die gleichermaßen verzückt, aufwühlt und anekelt, gepackt in wundervoll fotografierte Bilder und ein wahnsinniges Setting. Brilliant gespielt und komponiert. Schlicht: Ein Meisterwerk! 9/10

18. Alex Hall's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A sumptuous orgiastic delicacy.

19. Bosscat's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A sumptuous feast, every frame carefully considered and every world beautifully delivered. A modern masterpiece of which Frans Hals would be proud of!

20. barefeetgeek's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Trop barré et violence gratuite. L'esthétisme n'xcuse vraiment pas tout.

21. Alberto Funkledink's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

22. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

23. Tja's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A meaty offering of sex, violence, and food, presented in an oddly open and rather drafty 'french' restaurant. Michael Nyman's score has just the right peristaltic quality to support our digestion of this bizarre revenge narrative. Helen Mirren is the enticingly undemonstrative femme fatale played against Gambon;s screaming, psychotic thug.

24. DanielSpeight's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover