1. Riddle, van, stellar's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

an impressive plot, the cinematography is vivid but too intense for its own benefit, and the story doesn't make much sense despite being a comedy.

2. Corriel's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Long, very artsy and stylish but good. (3.5)

3. MisterColo93's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

4. F/K's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

An absolutely revolting and powerful film about the limits of violence

5. ssia22's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

The reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is pure subjectivity, I was simply terrified by Michael Gambon's portrayal and I found his character grotesque. I would have never believed I was going to find a character more terrifying than Donald Sutherland's Attila in Bertolucci's 1900. Well, it's been 5 years since then and I can say Gambon's surpasses him just because of the repetitive cruelty Greenaway burdens us with.

6. cuttofences's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

In most other gangster films, mafia bosses are made to be badass. Even in the case of an antagonist. However, with Greenaway's film, Albert, the mafia boss commits the same acts of violence and brutality that other gangsters do, the difference is that it makes him look weak.

7. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

8. hexhunk's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

9. wiwitaek's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

When I was watching it, I was in a state of denial of gangster movie, but this movie change it. I think I need to pay more attention to movie description and its genre. Anyway, it's one of the best dark comedy I watched so far and simply went to my favorite.

10. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

11. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

I suspect this is Greenaways only great film. And, boy, is it great. Alan Howard in one of his rare film performances, one of the great stage actors. I love the juxtaposition of the symetrical nature of the style and the barbaric nature of the characters. The characters envelop themselves in grandure but is at their core only children, longing for sex and violence.

12. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

tutto in crescendo peccato per l'inizio che comunque tutto sommato rimane buono

13. Mariana Mara Nascimento's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A very weird gem. Michael Gambon (stunningly) shows the most un-Dumbledore-esque behaviour as the dreadful thief. Points for the 4th wall breakage and the marvelous ending.

14. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

The art direction in this is incredible. A beautiful interpretation of Divine Comedy.

15. jxn's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

both beautiful and deeply ugly in equal measure. i'll probably never watch this again.

16. AALC's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Bravo for soundtrack! Stunning scenography, characters. The last scene was also effective. In general, it is a film full of delicacy and tastefulness.

17. BernardoDiniz's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A beautiful mess of tracking shots.

18. Glue Sniffer's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Świetny film, którego głównym atutem (moim zdaniem) jest scenografia oraz kolorystyka bijąca widza po oczach. Oniryczny klimat oraz zagmatwana fabuła współgrają ze sobą idealnie!

19. James Roth's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

The cinematography and set design are really stunning, quite reminiscent of Dario Argento's 'Suspiria'. Story-wise I have never seen anything quite like it, I like the idea of it predominantly set in once location and the characters were good but it just seemed to drag for me and I wasn't really invested. But it is worth a watch for the visuals.

20. Frederick Delon's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

One of my favorite scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf6Yy2ywsLY

21. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

This film is a masterstroke until its clunky and somewhat dare I say safe final 20 minutes. But still nevertheless brilliant as hell when it truly dives in its cruelty

22. arielwa's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A tour de force of theatricality, with not just an extraordinary primary cast, but a secondary cast who went on to greatness.

23. caitlin.f's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

visually, this was awesome. absolutely vile & disgusting characters, but i loved it.

24. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Unforgivingly twisted and masterfully directed. Amongst the incredible performances from Helen Mirren and Michael Gambon, there is a refined cinematographic style and incredible imagery through use of color and character choreography. The extended use of wide shots really allows the audience to be the editor of the film, as there's so much going on at all times. There's a surrealism about the whole thing. Beautiful.