1. pluviosity's rating of the film The Crying Game

I think I'm lucky because I never knew about the twist—which basically was non-existent because it felt like it never meant to be one. Stephen Rea was great, glad to see he's not just moping around like in Citizen X. But other than his "dance" with equally awesome Jaye Davidson, I didn't feel anything more to the story, mostly because that oh-so-nineties pan back ending scene...

2. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film The Crying Game

I mean... it was obviously right?

3. Sơn Phước's rating of the film The Crying Game

Twist, twist, twist but slow and boring as hell.

4. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Crying Game

This movie is so confused. It's trying to be so many things and failing miserably at every one of them. It's actually problematic. You can't just throw trans characters into the mix and hope that carries the weight of the plot? It's laughable and insulting to the community- it's appropriation. Aside from that it's just a boring mess of a story with horrible acting and no point. It's shot gorgeously, that's about it.

5. Drew.'s rating of the film The Crying Game

I avoided this movie because of "the twist." But it's not really a twist at all. It comes halfway into the movie and a lot of the movie is really tender. Not saying this movie is a model of representation but it's better than that 10 second clip, the buzz around it, and the transphobic Mubi reviews by a couple of you fuckers.

6. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Crying Game

7. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Crying Game

Jordan connects the political to the personal; creating a film about divides; about the struggle to co-exist. The relationships offer a commentary on the then-volatile link between Ireland & the UK, as well as the growing conflict within Ireland itself. There's something of Vertigo in this depiction of obsession; a character's inability to accept his sexuality finding a Freudian expression in the film's dramatic arc.

8. soymilky's rating of the film The Crying Game

why does it seem like all of the lines were pre-recorded and the actors mimed the whole time? so odd. also lol @ the constant flashbacks of Forest Whitaker playing cricket

9. ioanabogdana's rating of the film The Crying Game

10. Charolastra's rating of the film The Crying Game

A product of its time I guess. Lots of dynamics beings juggled around: class, race, gender, politics, binaries/dualities but it's bit too much for the plot to wholly digest. Even before the rise of web activism this flick never sat exactly quite right to me.

11. AnnalieseVevo's rating of the film The Crying Game

12. Daniel Metcalf's rating of the film The Crying Game

The relationship of Rea & Whitaker at the beginning of the film sets up an interesting plot that should have made for a complex study of Rea's obsession. Already the study of guilt & sexual desire would have made it interesting enough. But the twist adds nothing & even detracts from the interesting obsession. Disappointing yet predictable "past comes back to bite you" finale & strange subplots left unexplored (Dave).

13. naokoken's rating of the film The Crying Game

Just as great on a second viewing 24 years later after seeing it in the theater. Odd to watch on a mobile phone but the only option in a black out.

14. Julia Miville's rating of the film The Crying Game

15. Edward Longfingers's rating of the film The Crying Game

Talk about your off-beat love story! And a thriller. The last 20 minutes had me wondering/fearing what would happen next.

16. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Crying Game

Yeah.....I bet if I saw this years ago I would have really liked it, but seeing it for the first time now I can see how problematic this film is in framing the Transgender experience. Cinematically it has some bumps as well. I can say Forest Whitaker and Jaye Davidson give stellar performances though.

17. caitlin.f's rating of the film The Crying Game

transphobic garbage. wish i could give it zero stars.

18. OcioActivo's rating of the film The Crying Game

It's been a while since I've seen The Crying Game but I do remember falling for it; its twists that seem tame and obvious today and its tenderness that unfortunately is surrounded by violence and fear. Fergus, Dil and Jody define the 90's (in a good way) to me. The film may feel like a time capsule, kind of like American Beauty only better, but no one can deny Neil Jordan's entrance, the performances, and the story.

19. Jonathan's rating of the film The Crying Game

Such a richly layered story that remains focused and on point throughout. And so daring. I'd call it a masterpiece of 90's filmmaking.

20. muse_x's rating of the film The Crying Game

Been meaning to catch this film since its arrival.

21. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Crying Game

This film is more a sign-of-the-times, than a good film... "Best Picture"???

22. Lintang A.'s rating of the film The Crying Game

23. Tom Rubendall's rating of the film The Crying Game

24. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Crying Game

Decent 90s indie. The twist is ok but nothing to write home about. I did think Whittaker gave a nice early performance in his career, but ultimately the story didnt really hold my attention. Controversial in its day but seems rather tame now. Ill give it an extra half star for originality. 3.5 stars