1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Damned

You hear about it for so long but Helmut Berger doing Marlene Dietrich drag is truly exceptional. God, I'm a sucker for a good costume drama and no one does it better than Visconti.

2. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film The Damned

3. Aditya Watts's rating of the film The Damned

September '17. All the dramatic zooms, oh my! Very Fassbinder the aesthetic, baroque and instinctive. The formal style intuitive and emotional not intellectual and over-constructed as taught in film school and mastered in Visconti's own Rocco and his brothers. I've always loved zooms, from Kubrick and Tarr to here. So dramatic and involving, pull you in, move you.

4. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Damned

5. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Damned

6. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Damned

7. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Damned

The dubbed version makes it seem like a cheap exploitation film. The non-dubbed version is not much better. I think Bogarde did a much better job in 'The Night Porter'. The true value is in the costumes, set design, and general campiness. It seeks to shock rather than inform.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Damned

Avec un talent rare et un style éblouissant, une tragédie mise en scène comme un somptueux opéra où tous les personnages sont marqués par la fatalité. Un des chefs-d'oeuvre de Visconti entre pertinente leçon d'histoire sur la montée du fascisme et fascinant tableau d'une dégénérescence sociale... www.cinefiches.com

9. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Damned

10. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film The Damned

11. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Damned

Hold onto your boas! Visconti's epic, operatic, high-camp, fur-and-claws, opulent, Oedipal, Nazi melodrama; a glorious 2.5 hour voyeuristic descent into the very same lush hungry self-indulgence as the family on screen, so that I came out flushed & feral & wanting more. Fassbinder claimed to have seen the film 30 times, which I would've greedily joined him for. A lesson & a spectacle. Flawed, fierce & extraordinary.

12. James Mackin's rating of the film The Damned

It's strange that this Italian/German coproduction is primarily in English, and yet several characters speak German frequently. It could be this tool used to distance the elite, old Germany (English speaking) from the new, National Socialist Germany (German speaking). It shows the end of an era, a Visconti theme for the ages, as the elite die off, and the Nazis reign supreme, hand in hand with the crazy ones.

13. bagno's rating of the film The Damned

14. LauraPalmer's rating of the film The Damned

15. Hyperion_333's rating of the film The Damned

This film is nauseating. Everything about it is rank and overripe. I love watching it.

16. lina maj's rating of the film The Damned

This film keeps on growing on me. Many close-ups of the sweaty faces still haunt me. Helmut Berger was absolutely wonderful, and, yes, his Marlene Dietrich piece was unforgettable, no doubt about it.

17. postblueink's rating of the film The Damned

18. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Damned

I saw this film at my high school cine-club in the 70's between an Ingmar Bergman and a Luis Buñuel movie. Now, 40 years later, I must say that The Damned don't age very well. Cold, with improbable spotlights à la Bava, The Damned grow pale if one compares it with, let's say, Bob Fosse's Cabaret which deals with the same themes but with far more talent. A big disappointment. Already forgottten.

19. nein's rating of the film The Damned

20. Caillouquiroule's rating of the film The Damned

Un film assez déstabilisant, alliant le pire et le meilleur dans le scénario comme dans le jeu. Une sorte de soap opera de luxe, qui prend un malin plaisir à choquer (ou à essayer du moins) avec tous les sujets abordés (nazisme, inceste, pédophilie etc). Et je ne suis pas sûr que l'analyse de l'époque soit si juste que ça. Bref, j'en sais rien.

21. Cependant's rating of the film The Damned

22. Mellow Dude's rating of the film The Damned

23. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film The Damned

Much like the respect I have for Fellini's "8 1/2", I respect "The Damned" more than I personally enjoy it. It pioneered a lot of what we have seen expressed in the many other postwar works following it, though items like "Mephisto", "Salo" and even Fassbinder's BRD trilogy seem to supercede "The Damned" in my mind, though it is hard to say they would've been possible without "The Damned" laying the groundwork.

24. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film The Damned