1. Murky's rating of the film The Day Before the End

First diaz. I would like to see more.

2. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film The Day Before the End

Second half is mesmerising and quite a change to the sterile imagery, lighting and framing Lav has had in all of his other works. Such atmospheric and dark beautiful scapes. Wish he would direct a full work in this setting / apocalyptic setting.

3. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Day Before the End

4. Jason's rating of the film The Day Before the End

One of those special movies - nominally a fiction, certainly something staged - that encounters the real in the form of a quasi-cataclysmic (climatological) event it may or may not have foreseen. This is its spell. This is its magic. What is staged is arguably inchoate and even amateurish. What happens to the production and consequently the film feels like a profound interjection. Plus: this thing looks gorgeous.

5. Absentia's rating of the film The Day Before the End

6. nietzschicharonsky's rating of the film The Day Before the End

the only english sub is near the end.. theres also a diff dialect beside tagalog.

7. Kamran's rating of the film The Day Before the End

What begins as painfully awkward experimental filmmaking develops into brief but affecting pure-image cinema. 65/100 - Decent. (2.5)

8. Ric Ostrower's rating of the film The Day Before the End

visually strong, but pointless

9. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Day Before the End

Another synopsis explains that the poets are being murdered. It took a second viewing, plus that hint, to see it in the film. Oberhausen called it "a work of political urgency." I'll guess, then, something to do with the Philippines state-sponsored extra-judicial killings and disappearances of activists & journalists... What happens when the poets are all dead, sort of thing? Maybe? Pretty. Evocative. Frustrating.

10. John Woodall's rating of the film The Day Before the End

Although I was fairly underwhelmed by this, it makes me want to see more from Lav Diaz. I can see the talent and ingenuity at work here, but ultimately it fell short for me. Some great shots and production in the second half though. The desperation and joy of the poets was very intriguing.

11. bejonsson's rating of the film The Day Before the End

Serene and poetic. As if we were watching street corner preachers proselytising the apocalypse to an oblivious world.

12. captainfez's rating of the film The Day Before the End

It's raining, it's boring.

13. muse_x's rating of the film The Day Before the End

The Bard's words, in a cacophony of tongues. A tour de force. One not to be missed.

14. David R Williams's rating of the film The Day Before the End

15. ronny's rating of the film The Day Before the End

like all the other Oberhausen choices (minus "Elegance"), we have here another capricious bout of filmmaking. this may be my second favorite, however, thanks to the vivid images (not least of which is the roaring monsoon at the end) and the Shakespearean verse (can't ever complain about that).

16. Omus's rating of the film The Day Before the End

I'm not sure how we know it's 2050, or that a massive storm is coming. But it does seem rather dangerous to be sitting in flood waters during an electrical storm. Randos quoting Shakespeare, though, is always worth a look.

17. Alex Khype's rating of the film The Day Before the End

Thou art unfit for any place but hell. Methink’st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee. You are as a candle, the better burnt out.

18. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The Day Before the End

Wake up, people, it's art, not multiplex fodder, you have to have some background and work at growing your powers of poetry. If you don't get anything from it, no shame in that, but don't get further confused and think your experience has anything to say about the film. If you don't see anything, doesn't mean there's nothing to see, just that you didn't see it. Be humble and take that as a spur to work—in silence.

19. msmichel's rating of the film The Day Before the End

People are calling a Lav Diaz film tedious that only runs 16 minutes? Are you kidding? There is plenty to recommend this new short by Diaz including its black and white cinematography, imagery, use of Shakespearean verse amidst everyday Filipino life (regardless of fictional time period) and the threat of finality in a weather turning against us. Diaz remains one of the most interesting directors in cinema today.

20. mark adamczyk's rating of the film The Day Before the End

Impressive sound. Lots to talk about. Efficient and thoroughly engaging cinematic experience.

21. edith84's rating of the film The Day Before the End

A beautiful film. Thank you for showing these kind of movies. Go on with that kind of programming! Please!

22. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Day Before the End

[Spoilers Below] Come for the pretentious filming style and conceited art direction. Stay for the butchering of some of Shakespeare's most famous soliloquys. The film fails on all levels, wasting the material it steals and seemingly jams it in. It reaches a low point when there are three characters are speaking three not connected monologues to the screen at the same time. The film was an assault on my senses.

23. Frank ViSo's rating of the film The Day Before the End