1. Tadzio Bonaparte's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Always brilliant but not always good.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Un jeune peintre de Hollywood tombe amoureux d'une femme qui rêve de devenir starlette ..... On a connu Schlesinger plus imposant ! www.cinefiches.com

3. Log Lady's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

A surreal whirlwind of lethargic, broken, sad, and pathetic people, which makes the hazy and dream-like images of sunny California unsettling. The ripples of desperation lead to a chaotic ending that rivals with the works of William Blake. A cynical apocalypse of human spirit, where souls and bodies are crushed in the most grotesque way and where the morbidity of Hollywood is revealed.

4. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

It's a little unfocused in places and most of its characters are deplorable, but there is a brilliantly putrid and cynical atmosphere which underlies the film and some very memorable set pieces including a devestating finale. Bold film making that could only be made in the 1970s.

5. Oneb's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Ghostly characters in chaotic banality pawing each other, until the explosive finale. If this is about repression and sacrifice then it is successful; but not particularly as a stimulating experience of character, or period details of Hollywoodland.

6. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

This is a perfect example on how much Hollywood gave total freedom to directors into the 70's golden age of american cinema. A masterpiece, remembers me how GOOD and adventurous american movies used to be back in that decade.

7. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Another from my past. It reminds me a little of They shoot horses, Karen Black borderline mad, in search of?.Fame, a rich husband, Poor sap Donald, (Homer Simpson!). adoring, yet ultimately impotent. You can also see Mullholland Drive in this too, odd, strange, and you just know it isn't going to end well..

8. the prince's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

A very dark sensational film; Karen Black was at her creepiest best and Sutherland over-the-edge

9. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Film da lasciare lì aspettando che ti prenda al fianco all'improvviso. La sequenza finale è allucinante. In senso assolutamente positivo. E Donald Sutherland, come sempre.

10. Dries's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Una rassegnata discesa verso gli inferi che sfiora il capolavoro. Gli ultimi 20 minuti sono con ogni probabilità il finale più bello della storia del cinema narrativo classico

11. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Just when you think the ending couldn't get any more bizarre, it does. Again and again and again. Must revisit this one sometime in the future.

12. Joel Haver's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

The ending has stuck with me for years, don't recall much else, but what an ending it is.

13. Tøkk's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

i didn't particularly like this, unpassionate. i loved the novel

14. Justin LaLiberty's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

THE fire scene of 70s American cinema. Malick ain't got shit on these last 15 minutes.

15. joey Noodles's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Truly horrifying portrayal of broken dreams, brilliant acting by Sutherland and a powerful ending, the locusts flock to hollywoodland.

16. bclvines@gmail.com's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Oh dear. I don't think I have ever been more terrified in my life during a film, as much as I was in the last sequence of this film. I don't honestly know how I can live with the pain that it brings. It is so so fantastic, rather reminiscent of (70's version of) The Great Gatsby, beautifully shot, and as everything goes further downhill, I am torn between my love for Tod Hackett and the pure fear of his thoughts.

17. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

I wanted so much for this film to be the classic underbelly of Hollywood story that Nathanael West had written, instead we got the flabby belly of Hollywood.

18. Wortzik's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

"Jeepers Creepers..." that scene won't go away off my mind. Pretty average film considering the names involved with though.

19. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

The climax was horrifying, yet I couldn't look away.

20. Martin Wilson's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

KAREN BLACK always regretted making this film, believing that it derailed her career. That the apocalyptic morbidity consumed not just the characters but herself. While an outstanding actress, she was never a conventional leading lady. And, probably, what is most painful is that she and the film were made for each other. With one memorable scene after another and people you won't forget, she should, in fact, be proud

21. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Filming the unfilmable is dangerous but Schlesinger & screenwriter Waldo Salt come close to nailng the novel's grotesque, cynical tone. Burgess Meredith is brilliant and Donald Sutherland is absolutely horrorfying

22. RONALD PABON's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

One of the best cock fighting scenes I have ever seen. There's something so grotesque about this movie, it's wonderful.

23. your fiend mr. jones's rating of the film The Day of the Locust

Oops, accidentally hit the stars too. I've always wanted to see this- love the book, but never caught the film!