1. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

2. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

3-4. Intriguing; a lot more low-key than I was expecting. Actually mostly appears to be about the alien meditating on humanity and interacting with our various representatives: the 'innocent child', the 'greedy' man, the 'thinking man', the 'level-headed mother', etc. Not stylistically distinct (as is expected with Robert Wise) but very competently put together. Sadly lacking in immediate conflict 'til the ending.

3. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

La llegada de un extraño que viene a aprender sobre la humanidad, y se marcha dejando una lección de humanidad. Wise y un clásico sobre la Guerra Fría desde una mirada de la ciencia ficción. Se reconoce aquí a una sociedad tensa (disparando antes de reconocer) y egoísta (que no duda en delatar a beneficio propio). Escena clave sucede en una mesa donde personajes debaten, rebelando casi siempre una ofensiva nata.

4. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Rather dated, but a thoughtful and articulate script makes up for the primitive special effects. Clearly very influential on SF subsequently made.

5. andretz's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

6. El Biffo's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

I actually only watched an 8mm home version of this on an old projector, and I think it was shortened to about 12 minutes, but if the 12 minute version is any indication, this is a real classic! I watched it a bunch of times, always a hit at my 8mm film parties. Also the 8mm version is silent, so it goes really well with "1969" by The Stooges, or probably anything else.

7. ZYNAB's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

why are they so fuckin mean to poor klaatu! :'(

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Un classique des années 1950, désormais bien ridé ! www.cinefiches.com

9. Fritz's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Quite like it. For a 1950's sci-fi film, it's good, better even than the lousy remake.

10. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

3.8 This SF-classic ages well thanks to the restrained performances and the strong story (the message is not very subtle, though). The spaceship´s interior design is timeless; Hermann´s music is great, but it´s difficult to appreciate: it has been ripped off in every other SF parody...

11. Mar J's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

12. mpho3's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

“I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason.” - Jesus-Klatu. I loved the film's message though I don't know about this benevolent police state business. Nice subdued performances by Rennie and Neal, and Tover's cinematography is as pleasurable as Hermann's score.

13. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

A pleasant little allegory that, unfortunately, feels its runtime.

14. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

2.5 Slightly spoiled by writers forcing through their dangerous message. I am certain that presenting something as the single true ideal, will only serve to mislead...

15. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Great film, greater use of the theremin. Patricia Neal is her usual excellent self

16. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

17. Lance L O T's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

It is simply delightful for me at least to look at these gems of pure realism, in the sense that it was America dealing with the consequences of nuclear annihilation and the cold war. I love the clichés of Twilight Zone look like and the simple plot that makes people wonder but never shatter with fear. Aliens who are not aliens and the notion that someone looks after us, isn't that what everybody wants in the end??

18. Michael Harbour's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

A well made message movie with sufficient light touches who's message has a potent dark side. Other worlds have stamped out interpersonal aggression by creating omnipresent overseers to intervene whenever it threatens. Their message to Earth is that it will be destroyed entirely if humans reach for the stars without first reigning in their aggressive behavior.

19. João Rocha's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

20. anarresti's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

21. correy baldwin's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Pretty fun flick, although perhaps most fascinating for being a thinly veiled justification for the Cold War.

22. Adam Z's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

saw a 16mm print at the Globe Cinema here in Calgary. The print was in decent shape and it was a fun experience. Movie's solid, classic SF. Some excellent humour, which I'd forgotten about.

23. Lutka's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

It isn't faith that makes good science, it's curiosity!

24. Hunter Duesing's rating of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Tightly scripted and paced sci-fi, it's like an extended "Twilight Zone" episode, which is the highest compliment.