1. Harriehhh's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Cold, doomy and still surprisingly apt on a political basis – at least, for a film made 30 years prior to the recent tidal surge of right wing views and inept, power-crazed loons taking office worldwide. It's also terribly overlooked as one of the darkest offerings in the King canon of film adaptations; Cronenberg really knows how to bring out the best of the source material, whilst retaining his own distinct style.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Excellent film fantastique mené de mains de maître par un génial metteur en scène d'origine canadienne dont les réalisations quelquefois irritantes, jamais décevantes, méritent une nouvelle approche. Il serait grand temps de projeter à nouveau une intégrale "David Cronenberg" dont les premières œuvres restent confidentielles... www.cinefiches.com

3. msmichel's rating of the film The Dead Zone

After the early body horror films culminating in 'Scanners' and 'Videodrome' this adaptation of the Stephen King novel heralded a move into the mainstream for Cronenberg and yielded rich rewards. Walken was perfectly cast as 'Johnny Smith' and by scaling back the horror element and concentrating on the personal cost to the character Cronenberg made a film to be remembered.

4. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film The Dead Zone

3.5 Prescient, better Cronenberg.

5. José Neves's rating of the film The Dead Zone

TV, re-rating. How i didn't see in this extraordinary film a metaphor for the power to create images and editing them according to fiction's variations? The visionary is the filmmaker who dies by the images (see René Vautier's "Mourir pour des Images") and through it elaborates an architecture of the world. Walken is the most vurnerable of the tormented ones that recent cinema has given us (also with Ferrara).

6. Andre Flickatina's rating of the film The Dead Zone

man.... the scissors. only ol' cronenberg could conjur up that scene

7. Shayan Bazri's rating of the film The Dead Zone

8. Daniel Iván's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Cronenberg and King are just a fantastic duo. Amazing. I just wish I could see this movie with a new, more delicate soundtrack, but that is just kind of a fan fiction... A classic.

9. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Really good early Cronenberg, Christopher Walken is intense, Brooke Adams is as cute as a button and Martin Sheen is Donald Trump.

10. corycorycorycory's rating of the film The Dead Zone

I haven't read the book, but it feels Kingy to me. Glad I changed my anti-Stephen-Kind-based-films stance.

11. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Dead Zone

12. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Dead Zone

My first Cronenberg, when I had never heard of auteurism-- innocent days.

13. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Thesis of this film? Consciousness and sight is a burden only given to the worthy. 3.5

14. Santropez's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Cronenberg doesn’t mess around in The Dead Zone. Boam’s adaptation of Stephen King’s novel starts off with despair, but shifts to pure evil as Johnny (Walken) wakes from a five year coma. At one point he describes a dream and gets asked “is that what you’re afraid of?”, “it’s what I want” he replies. The film takes some big leaps, but blends the horror into very high quality drama and is definitely a thrill to watch.

15. ikkini's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Une des rares adaptations de Stephen King qui se regarde.

16. Diego Ravazzolo's rating of the film The Dead Zone

17. Nick Schwab's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Profoundly appealing in a melodramatic way, the events of the narrative feel more like a series of random small fireworks leading up to a final larger firework, than akin to a grand finale, as the story often lacks a set path. Parts could be longer for anticipation/suspense reasons, too. However, it admirably has a feeling of suffocating dire ominousness, as one knows it won't end well for this well-meaning hero.

18. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film The Dead Zone

The plot is a bit all over the place but Walken is absolutely phenomenal and the ending is mind blowing and very clever. Cronenberg's is able to get the best out of the script and is also working with very good dialogue; it's very different from its horror stuff and maybe perhaps better in its drama. The winter setting and the music gives the whole a nice desperate vibe.

19. Samuel Righi's rating of the film The Dead Zone

20. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Dead Zone

So and so. Walken did an okay job but it just wasn't enough to make up for the mediocre story and photography.

21. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Dead Zone

Cronenberg has a great sense of space and visual style. His films almost feel staged, but not in a bad way, almost in a sort of menacing, off-kilter style that makes it feel unsafe and doom-ridden. They carry around a feeling of something about to go horribly wrong, and they carry it through recognizably urban environments, only adding to that feeling of unease.

22. Marcelo Fornari's rating of the film The Dead Zone

First half was solid but the final act was so ridiculous and laughable that looks more like a straight for TV movie than a Cronenberg classic. Walken and Sheen are alright though, but the dialogues are terrible and the plot twist about Sheen's role in future worldwide events seemed like a joke. I get the relevance given the time of its release but didn't work at all for me.

23. Siaudebert's rating of the film The Dead Zone

24. Marius Weber's rating of the film The Dead Zone

not a whole lot of depth in this movie. Not enough horror for these days...I can't appreaciate the cinematic value there might be. Nice performances by Walken and Sheen. But a lot of characters and conversations seem shallow.