1. MS1915's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

An observational approach at life in a punk band during the 1980s. I like how we, the audience, are given a slice of life of each of a few bands and get to see them doing their thing raw and unaltered. Very interesting and appealing to see this counter-culture come to life in such a real way...

2. truffraud's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

the section about SLASH magazine is my favorite

3. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Fascinating peek inside a world I knew nothing about, but am now utterly fascinated with.

4. Ghostman's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

one of the best music docs ever

5. ronny's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

i'm glad this footage exists, but i definitely won't bother watching the next two. (these films are probably a lot more awesome if you love the bands they're about.)

6. Robert Howard's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Glad I got to see this film, and glad I wasn't at the live performances. It's awesome that Spheeris let the cameras roll without a lot of quick cuts; a technique coming up just around the corner from this movie with MTV. It's scary and dirty, but the energy is magnificent.

7. cozycunt's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Great look into the 70/80/90 and the music culture that bred from within, my personal favorite is 2nd

8. mpho3's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

"Beware of crossing your arms over your chest in the sterile pose of a spectator, because life is not a spectacle, a sea of pain is not a proscenium, and a screaming man is not a dancing bear." - Aimé Césaire, Notebook of a Return to the Native Land, 1939.

9. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Introduction to Punk 101. Essential viewing.

10. Hugo C.'s rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Superbe documentaire sur la rébellion punk.

11. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

It's a classic and a masterclass on how to film (and edit) a documentary.

12. David R Williams's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Have to admit I sneered at West Coast punk back in the day preferring NY and UK but over the last few years have really begun to appreciate some of this in particular X, Black Flag and Fear. The raw energy, the spitting anger at a fucked world and a desperate existence...this stuff retains its power 35+ years later. PUNK LIVES! Indeed.

13. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

I was in Detroit for the punk scene in the late 1970s and can remember the pure rush of adrenaline that came with the spirit of punk rebellion. The movie captures that well but also exposes the sordid underbelly -- kids with tattooed swastikas, thugs beating on others at shows, the racism and the homophobic attacks. Spheeris's seminal film documents the entire scene, warts of all, of a movement that still resonates.

14. T Mills's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

I had always heard of these and never could imagine what was so important about this series. All I can say is... wow.

15. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Great doc. Def gives you a real sense of what punks were like. Unfortunately, they seem to be a bunch of dumb pseudo-intellectual elitist junkies. I always wondered why Minor Threat was the only punk band I ever really got into. After hearing the morons comprising the Germs and X wax poetic, I understand why. Looking back, punk is like the lowest of the low, musically. Fantastic music doc though. Solid 4 stars

16. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

I hate punks and all of their hatred... BUT... I loved this doc. Great insight and live performances. Kind of lets them speak for themselves.

17. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Lee Ving, man. holy shit

18. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

This is raw as hell. Alice Bag was a powerhouse then and she's a fucking powerhouse now. I love Los Angeles. Where is Exene Cervenka now? I heard her wee voice on the radio not two weeks ago.. if I knew then what I knew now.

19. corycorycorycory's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

This is a historically important part of punk in America. The bands profiled are still affecting punk now, for good or worse. This film may have been a happy accident, but she found a groove that made a good fucking movie.

20. ijustgetbored's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Don't go into this expecting "nice people" and a coherent narrative: the doc is about punk. It's a look at the LA scene, capturing nihilism and creative joy. The crowd scenes at the live performances are particularly informative: you can see the diversity of punk's audiences. The band interviews don't answer the question "what is punk?," but that's the point. Watching this doc is a gateway into the late punk scene.

21. Holly Hinson's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

First person look at the punk scene in the early 80s in LA.

22. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Very intriguing portrait of the LA Punk scene: Spheeris' style is full of surprises, and I especially liked the way she cut the documentary or interview passages with performance sequences. It gives the film a certain, somewhat unpredectable rhythm.

23. Ethan's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

This is by far the greatest documentary on punk rock. I really hope the Criterion releases this soon.

24. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

The thing that is enjoyable about this movie as opposed to other music documentaries is that the bands have no pretense. They're funny and raw and just don't give a shit.