1. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Very intriguing portrait of the LA Punk scene: Spheeris' style is full of surprises, and I especially liked the way she cut the documentary or interview passages with performance sequences. It gives the film a certain, somewhat unpredectable rhythm.

2. Ethan's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

This is by far the greatest documentary on punk rock. I really hope the Criterion releases this soon.

3. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

The thing that is enjoyable about this movie as opposed to other music documentaries is that the bands have no pretense. They're funny and raw and just don't give a shit.

4. marco's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

5. lowplacelikehome's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

6. Jason's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Punk: disaffection or exultation? Errr, yes. Great to come back to Spheeris's doc. I am no longer a young man yearning his way in the direction of this particular branded past. I see myself now as a more removed witness to the cavalcade(s) of history. But still think X were a band of geniuses who have a lot to show us even now about how to wax human. Chris D. show up briefly. So where the fuck are The Flesh Eaters?

7. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

8. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Penelope Spheeris finds her self in the right place at the right time and we reap all the benefits.

9. dave gunn's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Punks were and still are worthless people (and, as seen in this, at times racist, sexist, homophobic, and nihilistic), but I love what they somehow managed to create. This is a particularly great examination of the unique and revolutionary countercultural movement they birthed.

10. -'s rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Someone should make a z channel list if one hasn't been made yet

11. CroMartin's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Anybody know if this is up to watch online? I've been trying to find it for a long time!

12. El Biffo's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Must-see if you like The Germs. A snapshot in time.

13. Gerald's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

We called him Jose Doe, 'cause he was a Mexican.

14. Bill Arceneaux's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

I think Darby Crash out did GG Allin.

15. CRW's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

16. Angelo Dagonel's rating of the film The Decline of Western Civilization

Read We've Got the Neutron Bomb and watch some Target videos for a more comprehensive and exciting look at Los Angeles punk music. Although, the Decline does have a hilarious interview w/ Billy Zoom of X.

2 Next →