1. vizija's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

2. Dalibor's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Masterpiece of drama, and a unique deconstruction of Vietnam War era. Both explicit and allegorical, subtle topics of suppressed homosexuality, immigration and female roles in patriarchal community hide potential new meanings and insights. "I love you baby" sequence alone stands as one of the finest examples of film editing I've ever seen.

3. Andre Flickatina's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

gotta say, one shot really stuck out to me

4. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Christopher Walken and Robert deNiro playing Russian roulette against each other while at gunpoint is a tense cinematic moment. Before we get that far we have a fantastic story that start off with a long-running wedding in "Godfather" style before this end up in a devastatingly bleak and dark place as characters has to cope with effects of war. The entire cast do some of their best work here.

5. wave of the future's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

The scenes in the factories are nothing short of futuristic. Almost alien.

6. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Extraordinary performances, and the workingclass realism of the continental US bookends are (perhaps accidentally) very affecting. But Cimino, self-aggrandizing asshole that he is, is hollow to claim this film is "apolitical." Viet Cong are depicted as a true Yellow Menace; I could give a heck if the Russian Roulette stuff has historical accuracy, but Cimino's dehumanizing is reckless fodder for revenge-cummies.

7. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

8. Ramzi's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Ignore the haters, great film

9. spasmolytic's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

10. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

11. James Mackin's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

A bit too long, but pretty good. John Cazale was looking meek.

12. miles's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Didn't live up to my expectations a big deal, but still had some good bits in it.

13. Matt Reddick's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

A week afer rewatching Barry Lyndon, I found some similarities in the many, many perfectly framed shots and lush cinematography (different styles of course - esp the emotional) - The craftsmanship was exceptional, behind and in front of the camera. And yet ... I still wasn't moved. It's a fine film. I won't defend it tho.

14. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Political agenda aside, this was divine cinema at its best.

15. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

A flawed masterpiece thanks in part to Cimino's ideological corruptions. So much of this film arrests the spectator - a pity that Cimino's interpretations of the Vietnam War are so problematic.

16. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

Despite good performances and some good moments here and there (obviously the Russian Roulette sequences), the film has major structural and transitional issues; we see too much of certain things like the wedding and not enough of character development. It never quite figured out what it wanted to to be about so you get three moves in one, which I guess works out okay. The acting is great of course, but Cimino sucks.

17. mac le mac's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

point négatif le traitement des vietnamiens

18. -REM-'s rating of the film The Deer Hunter

19. hellobonjour's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

... the cinematography is beautiful. would investigate the depiction of the vietnamese + intentions of how to depict war

20. John's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

A shallow criticism, but that never ending fucking wedding is what has always kept me from 5 stars. Yes, it illustrates the drastic difference between normal life and horrific war/post-war, while establishing who these characters are, but it always seems like an unnecessary amount of time driving home that point. The movie is near perfect after that.

21. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

A brilliant cast and Robert DeNiro. I will never understand the appeal of him. This is very much a prelude to Heaven's Gate (which I like a lot more). The grade would be one higher if it wasn't for DeNiro.

22. ali di pollo's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

ma non ho capito anche Robert De Niro è mezzo russo?

23. Mouraz's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

24. MS1915's rating of the film The Deer Hunter

The first act felt too long, but then I realized what it was building to...The Vietnam parts? Masterfully done. I love the fact that this movie portrays PTSD, unlike many other war movies in the genre. At times terribly violent, but other times beautifully poetic.

← Previous 1 3 4 5