1. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

4 (he has a lot of 4's). Mubi lists this as a "thriller". It does have a murder plot, although that rests on the level of a hypothesis until late into the movie. I'm positively gaga about the witty dialogue, whose dominance means this is one of the less visually overwhelming Greenaways (thank god for that). You'll leave this movie with a new army of insults. That makes any movie worth it!

2. hemachandra's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

A crossword puzzle for senses.

3. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

7.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2IA

4. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

6. naokoken's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Mildly amusing diversion.

7. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

The argument over infidelity between the Talmanns is some of the best dialogue I've ever encountered.

8. George Elkind's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

An angry, existential period film, in which manners express outrage rather than repress it. Greenaway manages to meditate broadly on questions of art and perception even in an atmosphere of general disgust. He seems to be suggesting that beauty and pleasure might only ever be a matter of individual delusion.

9. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

This film luxuriates in dry wit and satirical critique of the genre that it so well represents. A period piece through and through, the dialogue hits every right note. Delivering scathing retorts as freely and as naturally others talk about the weather. This film's universe is wondrously constructed and allows its characters to grow and fill the scenery. This is both the reason to watch and to mock period pieces.

10. Haim Enric's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Greenaway is always a delight

11. David R Williams's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

"A most intricately structured enigma of a film..." My favorite of Greenaway's films after "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover". I understand there is a four hour version?

12. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Inscrutable and insanely mad at the same time, this early Greenaway film is a wiggified English costume drama beset by demonic possession. The draughtsman, Neville, acts as a journalistic observer -- or a cipher -- of the bloody class warfare on the grounds of a decadent country manor. While the central mystery -- who killed the lord of the castle -- is not easily resolved, the journey is one mesmerizing trip.

13. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

One of a kind. A multi-layered film which manages to play around with ideas around power, (including sexual politics, religion and class) and the nature of representation into a cross between a surreal comedy of manners and a murder mystery. Not always enjoyable but often disturbing, cerebral and funny. Visually extraordinary, the structural symmetry and frame composition are both integral to the drama.

14. jim in austin's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Sort of a mix of Henry Fielding and William Hogarth with a bit Fellini sprinkled on top. Worth it just for the lovely locations and the admittedly exaggerated costuming. And apparently the fellow running around naked and blending into the scenery is credited as Statue...

15. Myles's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

It's like walking into a painting by Hogarth. Also of Note: Dem wiiiiiiiiiiiiigs!

16. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

The surface of this movie—an absurdist kinky British costume drama/mystery—is so delightfully weird that it seems a shame to deconstruct it, even if that's what it's crying out for. What we have is a strange, cheeky dark comedy about the creation and interpretation of art, where lust puts the lie to intellect, and any attempt at control is just begging for punishment. My first Greenaway, and I'm tempted for more.

17. Operation Kino's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Watch this film, if for no other reason than Michael Nyman's score. Of Greenaway's films that I've seen, this is the most understandable. So I must not understand it, at all...

18. Donald Daedalus's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

A twisted tale that is fully brought to life by adept costume and a throbbing soundtrack, Greenaway articulates the pithy cruelty with absorbing characters and social motivations. Recalling some of the best period pieces, this film drives a stake into estate of the English Garden tradition.

19. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

I saw the 3 hour version, and I didn't think it was as good. This is one of those films you can watch more than once due to the complexity of the plot. It shows his concern for subtext, while not being as formal as subsequent films.

20. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Wonderful shots and extravagant wigs galore, it is, like a Greenaway film, with an air of a play about it. The compositions and staging make it feel as though you’re watching theatre performed on the biggest stage ever constructed, one that is visible from all angles and as expansive as an estate. Beautiful greenery and plotting involving murder and intrigue.

21. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

pretty amazing movie, though a little longish in the middle

22. David Huntington's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Have no doubt, Peter Greenaway does not make films—he makes Art. And how one feels about Art (as opposed to art) likely reflects how one feels about Greenaway. But compared to other Auteurs such as Antonioni who prefer to wallow in mystery, Greenaway seasons in pleasure. As many of his films, “The Draughtsman’s Contract” is ripe with sex, consumption, and luxury. -->

23. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

Such a delicious piece of English deviltry, all presented with wit, a large serving of painterly tableaux and a touch of the mysteriously/erotically perverse to modify the palate. Grab your best ostrich-plumed hat and join the ingenious gentry in throwing pearls before swine--it's Peter Greenaway. A modern classic.

24. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Draughtsman's Contract

By far my favorite narrative-ish Greenaway-- Angela Carter's review from the time of release is worth a look for context.