1. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Edge of the World

An early Powell (sans Pressburger) gem that deserves some more attention, although probably not that much more.

2. Aaken's rating of the film The Edge of the World

This film took me out of time. Although shot more than 80 years ago, the tone, the fact that it was not done in a sound studio - which was very rare at that time, gives it a quasi-documentary look which makes it a unique experience.

3. dionysus67's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Whatever minor flaws exist in the narrative or the acting are bracketed (and pardoned) by the exceptional camerawork in the rocky shores of a Scottish island. A great treatise on community solidarity and its eventual decline, its unsurpassed vitality and spiritual tenor (in a place abandoned by God) continues to impress. Editing is ingenious (as in the fatality scene) and there is a chilling funeral sequence. Superb!

4. Severus Snape's rating of the film The Edge of the World

5. FISCHER's rating of the film The Edge of the World

>>> En grande partie documentaire, cette oeuvre peu connue du fameux réalisateur britannique, entièrement parlée en langue gaélique, ne souffre pas de la comparaison avec le célèbre film de Robert J. Flaherty, le magnifique "homme d'Aran" même si de toute évidence, on se place plusieurs degrés en-dessous... www.cinefiches.com

6. francisca bacon's rating of the film The Edge of the World

I'm partial to departure films, maybe because mobility and nomadics are so fashionable and happy-go-lucky relocation shouldn't pose a problem, or due to last century's mass deportations and demographic movements which made us love displacement when nothing could be done against it, or thanks to tourist leaflets preaching that grass is greener everywhere else. Films like " The Edge" or Osyka's "Stone Cross" are filled

7. caitlin.f's rating of the film The Edge of the World

8. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film The Edge of the World

An affecting story of depopulation. Pleasurable and melodramatic. BEAUTIFUL editing and crisp at 80 minutes. I really enjoyed this film.

9. William R Clark's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Powellese is its own language; I'm happy to try and translate it. And it's not just location shooting that matters - creative editing, angling, gets a lot out of very little space. The score massages it splendidly. Best special effects.

10. kkchapin's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Beautiful cinematography, but terribly lacking in story and character development. Worth a watch just for the scenery, though.

11. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Edge of the World

OH, I like Powell quite a lot, and while this film is beautifully shot, and commendable for its location shooting, it dissipates from my memory as fast a message in a bottle on the rocky Irish coast.

12. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Edge of the World

A great visual experience for anyone serious about cinema. It plays as part documentary, part melodrama but the images of the craggy cliffs, the farming community, the fog rolling in, the spare lifestyle all immerse the audience on this Scottish island. Powell's use of facial closeups, superimposed images and dissolves are quite innovative. The only quibble is the melodrama about the sick baby towards the end.

13. T Mills's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Striking imagery can't redeem this film that surprising (for Powell) struggles with a weak story and even weaker performances that miss some obvious emotional beats. The cliff race is the best part of the film. I feel this would have worked better as a silent picture.

14. corycorycorycory's rating of the film The Edge of the World

15. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Edge of the World

A solid debut, but nothing to write home about. Watch more for the beautiful location shots than for the story. The actors were all fine, just found myself not caring much about any of the characters. Probably my least favorite Powell film I have watched, but all the aesthetics that we know him for are already in place. Extra star for cinematography alone. A portrait of a time since lost.

16. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Edge of the World

I would play this silently for a cocktail hour

17. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Edge of the World

pretty... but not exactly a nail-biter

18. Clarity_S's rating of the film The Edge of the World

I can't stop thinking about this film. It's a wonder. So strangely moving.

19. Myles's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Kind of impeccably shot for a British movie from the thirties. Like some of these shots were stolen by the great cinematographers of the subsequent century.

20. bodhishin's rating of the film The Edge of the World

21. jeremy foley's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Interesting, what a inhospitable place. Fuck it I would have left too!

22. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Edge of the World

I don't think he'd like this print/cut. There are long scenes that are underexposed. Also a bit strange with the dramatic music over non-dramatic scenes. Clearly men should not be allowed to make decisions, particularly when it comes to proving their manhood.

23. Des Horne's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Stunning. Why is this not more well known?

24. Rachel Tyler's rating of the film The Edge of the World

Couldn't help but think about Trier's Breaking the Waves while watching this depressing Scottish drama. The people-free shots of rushing water and wind-blown grass were beautiful. I was definitely more interested in the visual imagery and filmmaking aspects of this movie than the dribbling plot.