1. hubertguillaud's rating of the film The Elephant Man

D'une grande linéarité, extrêmement moralisateur, le film de Lynch a mal vieillit. Sa soi-disant violence psychologique s'avère très convenue. Et même la réalisation, malgré son esthétisme, se révèle plate et ennuyeuse. L'ensemble est devenu extrêmement gnangnan, prévisible et manichéen. On s'ennuie ferme. Mais où est le chef-d'oeuvre tant annoncé ?

2. gld48's rating of the film The Elephant Man

I first saw it at 16 without any appreciation of Lynch and it made me cry. Bitterly. It's a masterpiece.

3. daniel.fleming3c@gmail.com's rating of the film The Elephant Man

A great film. The sound design is so rich. The acting is phenomenal. And the dream sequences are amongst the best I have seen. The only thing I dislike is it has some moments of cheesiness and it can be to explicit with certain ideas. Still a great film.

4. tri ...'s rating of the film The Elephant Man

5. Alden's rating of the film The Elephant Man

The beginning, where everyone despises Merrick, and the ending, where the whole world seems to greet him seemed part of a silly Hollywood fable to me. But between those I found scenes that touched me. Seeing Merrick doing the effort of overcoming his ugliness, and on the other side people doing the reciprocal effort too... when both connect I could cry. I didn't think Lynch's glimpses of style fit well here.

6. mubianer's rating of the film The Elephant Man

The young David Lynch does a studio movie, with only a few real Lynchian moments. Very watchable and atmospheric. It does however portray all the upper class people as kind hearted, and most of the working class people as mean-spirited, but the English class society in Victorian times isn't really the main subject.

7. Ethan's rating of the film The Elephant Man

This is a stunning and haunting film that shows how the so called normal people can be the most frightening.

8. aliasgenius's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Devastating & beautiful at once. 4.5/5

9. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film The Elephant Man

10. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Elephant Man

11. Glue Sniffer's rating of the film The Elephant Man

12. Chris's rating of the film The Elephant Man

beautiful cinematography and evocative dream sequences, amazing performances from the two leads, and overall extremely moving... i sad cried and happy cried

13. Ekincaidaz's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Ahhh. Loved it. I was 11 when I saw it the first time. I can't think of a A. Hopkins film that is even slightly bad.

14. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Quando la mera curiosità umana per i fenomeni da baraccone viene mascherata da interesse scientifico, ecco che arriva alle luci della ribalta l'Uomo Elefante. Lynch indossa i panni di un triste cantastorie mentre, tramite la sua magistrale regia, ci racconta di una delle vicende realmente accadute più tristi della storia del cinema.

15. James Mackin's rating of the film The Elephant Man

David Lynch's Jackie Brown. Yeah, this is a really heart-wrenching, emotional rollercoaster, and is incredibly well made, and distinctly Lynchian. I adore this movie.

16. nargs_au's rating of the film The Elephant Man

emotionally prepare yourself, tis a sad film.

17. teresa romã's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Moving, touching. Incredible.

18. richardlawrn's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Lynch makes me forget about time and space...I catch myself wondering if I'm really watching a film shot in 1980. What a genius! One of my favourites and always a good lesson due to the sensitive nature of a man that has only been mistreated and terribly harmed. Hurt gave an amazing performance!

19. Jim Fear's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Probably the best film I watched in school.

20. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Excellent. Just enough of the dark underbelly of humanity to stop it getting too sentimental.

21. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Elephant Man

22. B o g d a n's rating of the film The Elephant Man

23. letters never sent's rating of the film The Elephant Man

I've always related to The Elephant Man.

24. msmichel's rating of the film The Elephant Man

Lynch's first 'director for hire' gig resulted in a rich and emotional experience filmed in glorious b&w. Well edited and constructed with impeccable cinematography by the great Freddie Francis. Casting was excellent especially John Hurt, Freddie Jones and Wendy Hiller. The makeup design was flawless and helped lead the academy to making it a category on to itself...a year later.