1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The End of Summer

Most of the time I was like "This may be the one Ozu that's just too simple, too bland," but by the end of it I was crying and thinking about how inconsequential our lives are!!!

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The End of Summer

Une oeuvre fort nostalgique ! www.cinefiches.com

3. ermete polpette's rating of the film The End of Summer

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The End of Summer

Ozu is a director that is passively enjoyable, but can reveal hidden depths if you choose to view it that way. Not political meanings or allegories or anything, but emotional depths. Sometimes, however, it is just nice to let something wash over you, and Ozu's films are always good for that.

5. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The End of Summer

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The End of Summer

***1/2. I love the way Yasujiro Ozu handles death. From the first heart attack to the last scene, the film is a genuine masterpiece. Highly recommended.

7. Aardsy's rating of the film The End of Summer

That old man was up to shenanigans!

8. Lance L O T's rating of the film The End of Summer

The humour of Ozu while adressing life and death is what stuck to me in this film apart from the always amazing shots of empty halls inside the houses. Who's he shooting?? The always pressing need to get married or to be alone is in this film shuffled with the perspective of finding an old flame, who is impossible to know how sincere she is just as this new Japan compared to the old.

9. Daniel Zuares's rating of the film The End of Summer

Possibly, the most enjoyable Ozu film I've seen. Love it!

10. mubianer's rating of the film The End of Summer

This is better than Tokyo Story and Late Spring in my opinion.

11. M Klein's rating of the film The End of Summer

Lovely score to this one. And very funny moments.

12. knockkneed's rating of the film The End of Summer

The themes are beautifully integrated into the structure, photography, and score. That quartal melody reminiscent of Trans Europe Express whisks folk tunes into modernity.

13. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The End of Summer

A beautiful film by the great Yasujiro Ozu!

14. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The End of Summer

A beautiful Ozu film with nice colors and detail as usual from this period. Contains one of my favorite funeral & wake sequences fitted characters' ruminations on mortality in movies.

15. lazycalm's rating of the film The End of Summer

I love that 100 yen scene! It’s funny and contemplative all at once. Akiko (Hara) in kimono and Noriko (Tsukasa) in modern dress talking about their life, both are beautiful. I also like the way Fumiko (played by that alluring Aratama) teases her childlike father with such anger that actually comes from affection.

16. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film The End of Summer

Strange ending for an Ozu film. I think one of the tracks in the film inspired the opening theme for Star Trek.

17. lucetteveen's rating of the film The End of Summer

18. Graham Carter's rating of the film The End of Summer

This film has stayed with me longer than any of his others.

19. Francis's rating of the film The End of Summer

Ozu’s films are like rice. Some are fried rice. Some are udon with white or brown rice on the side. And some are sushi with saki; like Equinox Flower. The End of Summer is just plain white rice. Simple, like all of Ozu’s films, but also very bland. I love Japanese culture, but I don't care for Ozu's films. They really aren't very Japanese, no matter what the cult says.

20. zerkalo's rating of the film The End of Summer

Could have been his best, but somehow it doesn't feel fully-formed to me. I would have enjoyed an extra 20 minutes or so. I think there was more emotional content to mine out of this story that, unlike other films, he didn't fully draw out. I am a bit torn though, as some of the implied content and the simplicity is enjoyable for its briefness. The ending is amplified greatly by Ozu's death the following year.

21. AntioneOscar69's rating of the film The End of Summer

One of Ozu's last films, and also one of his best and most multi-faceted, taking place in Osaka rather than Tokyo area, and featuring the Ozu hallmarks of family, subtle detail, the modernization and Westernization of Japan, and a serene warmth. Masterful.

22. apexa's rating of the film The End of Summer

A very 'ooooh' type of film for me because yet another wonderful featuring of Setsuko but also from two other actresses I adore, Michiyo Aratama and Youko Tsukasa. First Ozu color film for me and it was absolutely stunning to see the mise-en-scene artfully used. The film felt like a beautiful realistic painting come to life.

23. Michel Poiccard's rating of the film The End of Summer

Two beautiful daughters getting marriage proposals, the parent making escapades, another window into the life of a Japanese family. Another master piece by Ozu.

24. Low's rating of the film The End of Summer

My first Ozu in colour. And I want more!