1. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Executioner

****1/2 Possibly *****, even (to be determined on future viewings to which I look forward). Two compositions stand out and exemplify: In each, our protagonist recedes into a well-composed frame, the first time to brilliantly funny effect, the second with an impact as harrowing as it is graphically/symmetrically pleasing.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Executioner

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. After Franco died, Spain abolished the death penalty. Like most civilized countries. This movie is about how people discard their values in trade for material comforts.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Executioner

Comédie grinçante et amère d'un grand metteur en scène espagnol... www.cinefiches.com

4. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Executioner

5. Jason's rating of the film The Executioner

I am new to Berlanga, and that is a shame. In Spain he is apparently as highly-esteemed as Buñuel. The Executioner is an example of populist audacity at a humbling level. The production of such a movie under the auspices of a notoriously self-conscious dictatorship bespeaks a level of sophistication in the packaging of this "light comedy" that in itself deserves no end of commendation. Bruising but weirdly sweet.

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Executioner

Because of Nino Manfredi's presence, the film almost looks like an Italian dramatic comedy of the 60's. But, it's really darker, darker, darker. Recommended.

7. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Executioner

The well-organized organic state recruits its subjects to participate in the dispensation of its punishments and rewards, the lie of the abstraction's efficiency as inescapable as the mess of its reality here inside the machinery. Plenty of material for farce, then, and I suspect if I were Spanish (and, perhaps, of a certain age) El Verdugo would have twisted me into even tighter knots of death-masked hilarity.

8. Aardsy's rating of the film The Executioner

The things you'll do for a good apartment.

9. DVC's rating of the film The Executioner

10. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Executioner

7.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2gg

11. Muraki's rating of the film The Executioner

12. Inconnue's rating of the film The Executioner

13. FUCK YOU, MUBI!'s rating of the film The Executioner

A brilliantly humorous film concerning a man's hapless rise from undertaker to executioner; capturing the many little disappointments one must endure if one chooses to conform to societal mores while existing on this earthball.

14. Gonzalo Caride's rating of the film The Executioner

Incredible film! Berlanga was a genius, and probably, the one who better understood how to shoot Azcona's scripts. Funny, irreverent, dealing with a controversial subject matter... Wonderful, wonderful film.

15. superjano's rating of the film The Executioner

Mi peli española favorita, junto con "Calle Mayor" de Bardem

16. Dave's rating of the film The Executioner

Hilarious black comedy that deserves a wide DVD release and the attention that it merits.