1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

2. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

A well-told story, brilliantly filmed and acted. The crux of the story is in the title of the film: Mr. Baines is excellent at his job--and a father figure to Phillipe--but flawed in his private life. Bobby Henrey is playing an ambassador's son being raised by servants, and his acting is true to character. Reed is a master of small, wry, and telling moments such as when Rose tells Phillipe "I know your dad." Oh snap!

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

Tremendous choice, MUBI! So surprising. I am also surprised by the complaints here about the boy. Are people so used to paper cut-out movie children with no actual child psychology to them? Try to imagine the events of the movie from the perspective of Philipe, the ethical tangle he is not equipped for. He is a real Hitchcock innocent/wrongly-accused main character, a Harrison Ford role. Very cool twist.

4. Erik F.'s rating of the film The Fallen Idol

"It's a good life, if you don't weaken."

5. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

A perfectly fine film with most well-crafted suspense, but it didn't manage to stick with me even overnight. It sure isn't The Third Man, is it? I know that's not a fair comparison to basically any film, but that's all I could think.

6. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

7. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

If I recall correctly this is the only Graham Greene / Carol Reed collaboration besides the Third Man. And it is a proper rival, landing the balance of comic opportunity and suspense-driven dread. That snake, the bobby-pin!

8. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

4.5 What is the symbolism of the snake and Philippe's personal Garden of Eden? Mrs Baines could be Lilith, who must be dispatched as she will not obey Mr Baines.Then Julie can step in as a proper Eve. The snake symbolizes deception, and its death at Mrs Baines' hands is to no avail. Lies and secrets still corrode Philippe's innocence. Sound design is terrific with focus on only what Philippe would hear. Great title!

9. Xengar's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

At its core, this is a film of affairs and misunderstanding, all told through the eyes of a child. While the pacing is a little too slow for my taste at times, the story packs an emotional punch that's driven by endearing characters.

10. adamjaymorris's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

This is the last time I watch a film structured around a meddlesome child.

11. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

Ralph Richardson is superb, as always. The boy is surprisingly good. The only flaw is the attempted dramatic moment near the end. It's a big plot event, but the lead-up is pedestrian. The resolution is an unsatisfactory let-down. What little tension existed in the scene deflates like an under-filled whoopee cushion. Hitchcock would have done this SO MUCH better!

12. El Biffo's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

"...We've got to be careful what we say to policemen."

13. Sebastian Reetz's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

A unique and quickly engrossing story. Really great performances and directing. The night shots in the streets of London are also reminiscent of the final chase scene in Carol Reed's next Graham Greene interpretation, The Third Man.

14. roberta.fernandes's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

I wouldn't call it an educational movie but it definitely shows how some adults use a child for their own misbehavior. And for children, it's a great movie about the danger of keeping a secret. If it wasn't too long it would be great for the little ones to watch.

15. FISCHER's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

Une oeuvre à re(voir) sans hésitation ! www.cinefiches.com

16. Mr. Gumby's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

Perfect tension sequences, with an innocent kid confused with the facts, where the truth is difficult to find. And masterful are also the ambiguity of the characters, and the way Reed controls the game between what we know and what they know.

17. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

7.7/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-36a

18. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

19. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

A young boy is the main character of a film with an Adult Certificate given by the British censors! The impressionable boy keeps the viewer wondering how the story will end. Who is the screenplay writer? The novelist Graham Greene. and Greene never lets you down. Director Sir Carol Reed went on to win honours for another boy centered film two decades later---"Oliver!"

20. Samuel Righi's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

21. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

It's no wonder that kids get messed up. All the mixed messages. It's so hard to interpret. The kid is not any more annoying that your normal precocious kid. You have to give it to Carol Reed for the marvelous job he did with Bobby Henrey, because he was a horrible actor in real life. It was some very careful editing and huge amounts of patience that got him to look so good. Big props to Ralph, of course.

22. Vincent T's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

23. Aardsy's rating of the film The Fallen Idol

That little boy is my spirit animal.

24. HSBilly's rating of the film The Fallen Idol