1. Salomé's rating of the film The Father of My Children

2. neuroza's rating of the film The Father of My Children

The mid-point shift in pov is one of the most shocking but nevertheless effective in all of cinema. The father is still very much the protagonist despite his physical absence, he lives on through his wife, children and of course, his films.

3. Miguel's rating of the film The Father of My Children

4. Maggie's rating of the film The Father of My Children

When money-making overtakes the love for art, what is the humanity left with? Cultural suicide... There’s a speck of hope left, though, in the nucleus of the family and all the love and happiness it could possibly emit. Very well told poignant story. Beautifully executed.

5. mis marg's rating of the film The Father of My Children

take me to France, tell me a story, love "feeling films"...

6. Veronika Wellings's rating of the film The Father of My Children

A deeply moving film. I have loved it when I saw it some years ago, and on the second time around I appreciated, even more. The family I think is also referred to his work as well as his immediate family.

7. Iulian's rating of the film The Father of My Children

8. bryanvmh's rating of the film The Father of My Children

Playing catch-up isn't always a game you can win

9. James Thomas's rating of the film The Father of My Children

Quality and understated acting. Very beautiful and devastatingly sad without needing to rely on any melodrama

10. Bo bo min's rating of the film The Father of My Children

11. Andrea's rating of the film The Father of My Children

Mia Hansen-Løve is one of those directors that never disappoint me. Here, she develops her characters in a very profound manner, without using a lot of specific dialogues or giving away too much information, and relying instead on their faces, to suggest loneliness and introspection. I specially liked how there were many small scenes that ended up not amounting to anything else - like life itself.

12. w's rating of the film The Father of My Children

very strong, touching... I cried a lot. the cast is SUPERB... the story-telling, the production... everything is so well tied together. Almost like Gregoire himself... we think he had it all, until his face starts to wobble and crumble and we see the cracks...then, we see him die (or in part) leaving his girls and wife. at times, I thought it was a documentary; so factual and full of packed emotion...

13. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Father of My Children

14. Feellikeanumber's rating of the film The Father of My Children

More formularic than her previous film, due to it's attention to the world of finance, buisness, film-production. Her honesty and the tender view of human lives are still here, but to a less extent than possible. Three girls are wonderful and natural, as only young girls can be

15. tubbssw's rating of the film The Father of My Children

A film of two halves which share a screenplay that avoids some obvious traps. The first half is tightly written but the second has one underdeveloped strand (the brother) and an ending which might be described as weak, or my preference, being low key. Louis-Do de Lencquesaing is chain smoking perfect with Chiara Caselli and the three daughters also very well cast.

16. Renton47's rating of the film The Father of My Children

After having been unmoved by the three Hansen-Love films I had seen, I was surprised by the way this swept me up. At first it perfectly captures the pace of Canvel's lifestyle, a depiction of film production without the satire that nearly always accompanies it on screen. At the same time we are already anticipating the perspective of the title, introduced in the second half's surprising matter-of-factness 3.5

17. Simon's rating of the film The Father of My Children

18. misu's rating of the film The Father of My Children

19. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Father of My Children

Cinema is about feeling the presence of missing, invisible people, the director first and foremost but also the producers, the crew and every influence that existed before; it's about meeting brothers and sisters from another mother (or father) that lived the same moments we lived.

20. msmichel's rating of the film The Father of My Children

Excellent sophomore feature from director Hansen-Love that chronicles the effect of financial failure on a film producer and his family. The film captures the dual nature of depression; that mask one wears and the crippling doubt and self hatred underneath. But its the film's second half that concentrates on his surviving wife and daughters that one really feels empathy with. Marvelous achievement.

21. Jonathan Pr's rating of the film The Father of My Children

22. Roman2's rating of the film The Father of My Children

Exceptional. One of my favourite films from France. We need more films from France like this here and more films from France here. Period.

23. zi's rating of the film The Father of My Children

One of those few subtle films that really works.

24. Mariano-ML's rating of the film The Father of My Children

While the events that happen in the plot are tragic, and we see their effects on the characters, the film's tone is not melodramatic. Instead, the tone is understated - we see intimate moments in the protagonists' lives that give us greater insight into how others live within us, and that often the greater things we aspire to are often not quite as meaningful to those dear to us. [90/100]